price of eggs report -just for fun

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't even look at eggs anymore

Get this....
I get free range eggs (at least until mine start producing) for $2.00 a dozen ...DELIVERED!! :p

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Factory farm white: 2.86/dozen
Factory farm brown: 3.15/dozen
Omega 3 brown eggs: 4.25/dozen (still factory farmed)
Free Range organic at a health store: $6.49/dozen

A couple other things I find expensive, but eat so I still buy them...

Green Peppers: $4.99/pound
Chicken Breasts: $11.29/pound (a package of 6 chicken breasts is usually around $30-35)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
Factory farm white: 2.86/dozen
Factory farm brown: 3.15/dozen
Omega 3 brown eggs: 4.25/dozen (still factory farmed)
Free Range organic at a health store: $6.49/dozen

A couple other things I find expensive, but eat so I still buy them...

Green Peppers: $4.99/pound
Chicken Breasts: $11.29/pound (a package of 6 chicken breasts is usually around $30-35)
:ep Yikes! and I thought food was expensive here. The green peppers and chicken breasts are about a third of that here. Your prices for eggs are only a little more.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sugar was $4.99 for a small 5lb bag!!!

I havn't had to buy eggs in a while, thankfully! However I remember buying some in December for about $3.50 per dozen (organic "cage-free"*).

*Yes I know that is not good enough, sadly that is all I could find around here at the time.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been trying to buy flour and sugar in the larger bags cause it's much cheaper and we do use alot. I found the flour for sale $9.99 for 25lbs (okay so it was the bleached white bad stuff, but we gotta eat) and I think I got the 25lbs of sugar for about $15.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I don't buy organic food because I not only cannot afford it, but I am not concerned about eating organic foods. I guess that makes me odd woman out, doesn't it? I just feel it's an unnecessary luxury that I can't afford.

I paid $2.29 for an 18 pack of eggs, and I buy staples such as flour, sugar, etc., in the bulk section at WinCo for generally 40 to 50 cents a pound. I bought 25 pounds of sugar after Christmas for $9.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No you're not "odd woman out", you're not alone. I buy the best I can afford which usually means the regular stuff. Like I said, we gotta eat and have money left for other things too.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I don't buy organic food because I not only cannot afford it, but I am not concerned about eating organic foods. I guess that makes me odd woman out, doesn't it? I just feel it's an unnecessary luxury that I can't afford.

I paid $2.29 for an 18 pack of eggs, and I buy staples such as flour, sugar, etc., in the bulk section at WinCo for generally 40 to 50 cents a pound. I bought 25 pounds of sugar after Christmas for $9.
I don't buy the organic stuff either... until our chickens are laying eggs, we buy regular white eggs that probably came from a factory farm, but it's what we can afford... same with meat and veggies.

I do buy beef from a local farmer, but that's cause he charges less than the grocery store and I can meet my cow :)

I buy ALOT of things in the bulk store... honey, flour, sugar, spices, rice, etc... anything that's cheaper.