price of eggs report -just for fun

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here too. Not everything I buy is organic, not even close.

Eggs by the dozen are
3.99 for cage-free, vegetarian fed (HA!)
2.99 for factory brown
2.39 for factory white
Free from my chicken owning friends when they have them to spare :D

Bell peppers are 1.50 each, not priced per pound, tomatoes are "through the roof" at 2.89 lb.

I bought a 25lb bag of sugar in January I think, for $12, we've used less than 1/4 of the bag, and that is giving some to my mom.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
hwillm1977 said:
Green Peppers: $4.99/pound
Chicken Breasts: $11.29/pound (a package of 6 chicken breasts is usually around $30-35)
:ep Yikes! and I thought food was expensive here. The green peppers and chicken breasts are about a third of that here. Your prices for eggs are only a little more.
I'm always shocked when they have turkeys in the US for .69 cents a pound... that's almost worth the drive across the border if you load your trunk up with turkey... we pay $2.89/pound... or sometimes $1.79/pound at holidays when it's on sale.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Went into town today and looked at the price of eggs. The most expensive was $4.99 for freerange brown eggs, and we all know what their dif'n of free range is. :rolleyes:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Sugar was $4.99 for a small 5lb bag!!!

I havn't had to buy eggs in a while, thankfully! However I remember buying some in December for about $3.50 per dozen (organic "cage-free"*).

*Yes I know that is not good enough, sadly that is all I could find around here at the time.
BBH, you should have called me up. I was and still am selling organic chicken eggs for $3/dozen.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't offer any prices at the moment, as I haven't been to the store for a week or so. But I do have a comment or two. May I say that of course peppers and tomatoes are expensive - its March people! Nowhere near pepper/tomato season. You're paying shipping costs as well (from who knows where). One reason that Canadian prices differ from ours is that the Canadian dollar is not the same. (OK, I thought I was being smart here, but I just looked, and the US dollar and the Canadian are just about at par - 1 Can = .985 US.) And hwillm1977, may I suggest, if whole chickens are cheaper (and you can use the rest of the bird) that you think about cutting up a whole bird instead of buying just the breasts. For a very little bit of work you can save quite a bit of money. If the rest of the bird isn't something you normally would use, just ask here and I am sure you'll get lots of suggestions (personally I prefer the thigh meat).

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have bought whole chickens, but usually I just wait until the breasts go on sale (usually $4.88/pound) and buy a TON...

Whole chickens are a lot cheaper, they'd only be about $3.00/pound, buying local grown cage-free organic meat chickens is about $6.00/pound for the whole bird

My solution was to order 25 day-old meat birds from our farm store, so they'll be arriving sometime in mid-late april... then I'll have my own chickens :) Much cheaper than store bought...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
No, not all of Canada is that expensive. Chicken breasts down here sell on sale for about $2.49/lb, sometimes, very rarely, 1.99/lb Whole chickens, the cheapest I have seen them is $1.99 . Peppers I think were $1.50/lb Mind you , we have greenhouses just down the road form us that gorw peppers and cukes.

I haven't bought meat, ('cept bacon and pepperoni ) for over a year, but I am an avid follower of grocer store flyers. ( I get very upset if I don't get my grocery store flyers in the mail on Friday ;))

ETA, yes, with Detroit being just across the river, sometimes it is tempting to get groceries over there, and I have done it in the past. The prices over there can be ridiculously low. But I found that most of the really cheap stuff is "food" that we don't eat, like processed foods.

Latest posts