Private Property and Utility Workers

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I need y'all to tell me if i'm being too sensitive.

If someone from XYZ Utility Company comes to your house, isn't it customary/common courtesy to knock on the door and say, "Hello Mrs. Peep. I'm Johnny from XYZ, and we're here to do utility things."
???

Twice now, different XYZ utility companies have come out to do work and acted like they owned the place. This afternoon, there were 2 large trucks in my YARD before i knew what was happening! And when i came out and said hello, i think i was interrupting.

Today, i knew the guys were coming. Well, i knew that they were coming at some point this WEEK. But i don't understand not announcing themselves.

Maybe someone here has done that kind of work and can give me the inside story.

Am i being too sensitive? What happens at your house?

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Only twice in the fifteen years have utility workers shown up unannounced on our place. Both times, a dog let them know they were not welcome, and chased them off the property.
About two weeks ago, local electric utility workers drove up the drive to let me know they would be here in the future, and would speak with me again before they actually return.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
hoosier said:
Only twice in the fifteen years have utility workers shown up unannounced on our place. Both times, a dog let them know they were not welcome, and chased them off the property.
About two weeks ago, local electric utility workers drove up the drive to let me know they would be here in the future, and would speak with me again before they actually return.
How perfectly civil of them!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree!
I used to live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, and I *hated* it when utility guys wouldn't let me know they were out there working. One morning I was on the porch having my coffee and dressed in my inadequate-coverage-for-being-seen bathrobe when the guy installing the power meter walked out from behind the house and scared me to death.
Our place had total privacy because of the trees, so we were used to doing things like having coffee half-dressed. After all, what good is living in the woods if you can't do that?
He got an eyeful and a startled scream, I got the wits scared out of me.
Not cool.

I'd also think they'd want to announce themselves just for their own safety. Messing around on some old-timer's property is a great way to get shot around here.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
What happens at your house?
i set the dogs on them. if the dogs arent out then there is usually a lot of screaming and boys running for their truck when OD comes around and chases them off.

by now we are known as "that dangerous house with the crazed animals and that gal who comes out and screams at you to "get back in your truck and i'm not kidding!"

and nope, they usually don't do any introducing.

get a gander - that will show them.
;-)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Haven't had that issue, but if it were me, I would be calling the company up and letting them know in no uncertain terms, that warning must be given.

Now here's my story of utter outrage. for a little back history, wind turbines are going up all over the place around here, and some were ready to be tied tot he grid.

At 8:45 am, a hydro guy came to the door and handed us a piece of paper. It stated that the hydro would be out until 4:30 pm that day.

I had a load just started in the washing machine, my breadmaker was going. Hubby had the day off of work and he had some welding he needed to do. And I had 60 quail eggs in the incubator that had a week left till hatch date. And we would be without electricity all day. Humpfff. Hubby plugged in the land line phone, since our cordless didn't work, and called to let them have an earful.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Gander...that's funny. :D

Part of what urks me a little more is that i called the company ahead of time and asked them to make sure someone calls me before they come. One of my roosters has taken to flogging people, and i wanted to put him up before they got here. I don't think they got the message.

It just so happened that rooster had flogged me for the last time and was placed in the waiting-for-freezer-camp pen, but maybe i should have let him out.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Haven't had that issue, but if it were me, I would be calling the company up and letting them know in no uncertain terms, that warning must be given.

Now here's my story of utter outrage. for a little back history, wind turbines are going up all over the place around here, and some were ready to be tied tot he grid.

At 8:45 am, a hydro guy came to the door and handed us a piece of paper. It stated that the hydro would be out until 4:30 pm that day.

I had a load just started in the washing machine, my breadmaker was going. Hubby had the day off of work and he had some welding he needed to do. And I had 60 quail eggs in the incubator that had a week left till hatch date. And we would be without electricity all day. Humpfff. Hubby plugged in the land line phone, since our cordless didn't work, and called to let them have an earful.
Well, i was thinking about it, but i already called one utility company to complain on Friday, and i thought maybe i was just getting over-zealous. I guess now i will.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep you shoulda let the rooster out.
;-)

and no i dont think you were being over sensitive. i think they are more aware since it is so rural here.

you shoulda seen them cable boys run.....

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
to circumvent parking in the driveway and facing the dogs (and me) our meter reader has now taken to parking his truck in the middle of the road, on a blind curve, and walking up the back hill. he's been flogged twice now by the none-too-excited-to-see-him gander who rules the back yard.

is it mean that i put the goose house and water bucket right next to the meter pole? :D

i wouldn't hesitate to call and lodge a complaint.