Private Property and Utility Workers

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your responses. I won't hesitate to call tomorrow and let them know that i don't appreciate strange men coming on to my property unannounced and acting like they own it - especially after i specifically asked them to call before coming.

And this is a very rural area. These are the East Texas Woods, where it's legal to shoot and kill someone on your property if you think they're going to steal your stuff! Why would you not simply announce yourself?

Thanks again. I'll save the rest of my soap box for tomorrow. :duc

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
About the only ones that show up here are the meter readers, and they park the truck pretty close to the house, so my dogs let me know when they arrive. :D :D

Now another story. About 6 months ago,I watched a meter reader pull into my driveway to read the meter. He never got out of the truck and was parked a good 50 ft from the meter. Think 4 parking spaces away. Now tell me if YOU could read a meter at that distance. I d a m n sure know that I couldn't!! I call the electric company and raised holy crap with them. Their response? "Our readers are trained to read them from that distance". BS! My next bill was basically an "estimate" and I called again to let them know just how far OFF the reader was!! :somad

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am a strong believer in vitamin D therapy. The best way for your body to generate vitamin D is full sun exposure at mid day. Lets just say we need a new spa repair guy

:gig

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
"Our readers are trained to read them from that distance".
:gig That's funny. Like you can train someone to see at a certain distance.

Wifezilla said:
I am a strong believer in vitamin D therapy. The best way for your body to generate vitamin D is full sun exposure at mid day. Lets just say we need a new spa repair guy
:th omg! I think my husband might object to the idea of me exposing myself to the repair guys - but i bet it would do the trick! No one would ever come around here without calling again! :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
If I could just get the meter reader to close the %&$% gate I'd be happy. There's a sign on it requesting that you do so. I called and complained that my animals were being placed at risk because of their lazy employee. Most of the time they close it now. Most, but not all. :rant

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I don't think it is reasonable at all to expect them to call or notify you before working on their equipment, though it would be nice especially if they are doing major work. Is the utility easement only accessible from your property?

I don't like people on mine for any reason but have to leave access for the meter reader on the side of the house. My last house had the meter in the basement and had to setup appointments which was a pain, either that or give them a key (yeah right) and would shut off power if not done in 4 months.

My meter reader says most dogs are nice but carries pepper spray and dog biscuits, he said the biscuits has always worked for him. Others including the US post office will suspend service for an entire group of homes if there is a viscous dog in the area requiring you to go to the post office for your mail.

When I did service work and there were loose dogs I would not get out of the truck and honked the horn, if the owner didn't show we left and they would have to wait another week or so for a reschedule. Every service order had the prior condition that all animals be constrained regardless if you think it is friendly, people would get mad and I would just smile - being a monopoly is a powerful thing.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
About the only ones that show up here are the meter readers, and they park the truck pretty close to the house, so my dogs let me know when they arrive. :D :D

Now another story. About 6 months ago,I watched a meter reader pull into my driveway to read the meter. He never got out of the truck and was parked a good 50 ft from the meter. Think 4 parking spaces away. Now tell me if YOU could read a meter at that distance. I d a m n sure know that I couldn't!! I call the electric company and raised holy crap with them. Their response? "Our readers are trained to read them from that distance". BS! My next bill was basically an "estimate" and I called again to let them know just how far OFF the reader was!! :somad
Ou hydro meter is right beside the driveway, so no isues there. however, I had to have a special device installed on my gas meter, b/c the meter reader was afraid of my dogs. He can now point something at my meter froam about 200' away--on the road in front of my house. Funny thing is--my dogs are always in the garage when the guy comes.--he just hears them bark. Methinks the guy was just lazy.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
xpc said:
I don't think it is reasonable at all to expect them to call or notify you before working on their equipment, though it would be nice especially if they are doing major work. Is the utility easement only accessible from your property?
I don't know if this question is for me, but i'll answer it. They don't come here to read the meter. I'm not exactly sure how they figure it out, but they don't have a meter reader. There is a little pile of utility boxes across the street. I see guys over there a lot.

Today, they were coming to sink a new pole in the middle of my yard. This was not routine.

Even if they miss the note on my account that i want a phone call, i just don't see how it isn't common courtesy to knock on the door and let the people who live here and own the property know that you've just brought 8 strange men and 3 giant crane trucks to dig a hole in your yard.

The guy who came last week was opening a box that was attached to my house, and i didn't know he was coming until he drove his truck past our driveway and parked in my front yard. I don't care who you work for; this is still MY property.

Stepping down off my soapbox. :hide

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
xpc said:

I don't like people on mine for any reason but have to leave access for the meter reader on the side of the house. My last house had the meter in the basement and had to setup appointments which was a pain, either that or give them a key (yeah right) and would shut off power if not done in 4 months.

My meter reader says most dogs are nice but carries pepper spray and dog biscuits, he said the biscuits has always worked for him. Others including the US post office will suspend service for an entire group of homes if there is a viscous dog in the area requiring you to go to the post office for your mail.

When I did service work and there were loose dogs I would not get out of the truck and honked the horn, if the owner didn't show we left and they would have to wait another week or so for a reschedule. Every service order had the prior condition that all animals be constrained regardless if you think it is friendly, people would get mad and I would just smile - being a monopoly is a powerful thing.
If the dogs were out when they came I'd hear them bark. They come and read the meter when we're not home. The dogs are in. I let them out, don't realize the gate on that side of the house isn't shut and then I'm chasing dogs around the neighborhood.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My utility companies let me know when they are coming out. We have made it clear that we have dogs that will bite. Even the railroad company lets us know when they will be around (we are right next to tracks).