Private Property and Utility Workers

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
Today, they were coming to sink a new pole in the middle of my yard. This was not routine.
That's another story if its not on their ROW but rather in the middle of your yard, is the pole to service your property only? Did you ask the service guys why the main office doesn't call first?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yeah, call me weird, but I don't have any issue with them trying to do their job. Mistakes happen etc. and people don't get called. Except for the occasional dog getting out issues, most utility workers would be happy to explain why they are there.

As a matter of fact, my utility workers are treated like kings (or queens) b/c you never know when hurricane Ike will come knocking on your door leaving you w.o. power for 11 days in the hottest time of the year. I gave a utility crew (called in from MO!!) my styrofoam cooler filled with iced down mexican cokes (real sugar) and a few pacificos when they fixed my power issue. (They were going to call it a day until I sweetened the pot. Poor guys were working overtime in the sweltering TX heat for days on end.)

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
xpc said:
PunkinPeep said:
Today, they were coming to sink a new pole in the middle of my yard. This was not routine.
That's another story if its not on their ROW but rather in the middle of your yard, is the pole to service your property only? Did you ask the service guys why the main office doesn't call first?
No, the service guys weren't feeling conversational. :/

However, when they first came out to do the work, i asked for a heads-up call. And the first person who came out did give a heads-up call. And he was very polite and helpful.

However, he felt that a new pole needed to be put in and told me that he would be passing the work order on so that they could put in the new pole.

That's all fine and good.

After the phone company came out to mark their line, and that worker was so ....... it's hard to explain, but i felt like i needed to watch him to make sure he didn't kick my dog or something........uncomfortable, i made a point of calling both companies and asking that they always call before sending someone out to do work.

In fact, i verified that with the main office just this morning, before these people showed up this afternoon. (The office didn't know when they would come - just sometime this week.)

I'm pretty sure the breakdown lies in the transfer of work to contractors. But i don't think that's a good excuse. How hard is it to read a work order?

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Yeah, call me weird, but I don't have any issue with them trying to do their job. Mistakes happen etc. and people don't get called. Except for the occasional dog getting out issues, most utility workers would be happy to explain why they are there.

As a matter of fact, my utility workers are treated like kings (or queens) b/c you never know when hurricane Ike will come knocking on your door leaving you w.o. power for 11 days in the hottest time of the year. I gave a utility crew (called in from MO!!) my styrofoam cooler filled with iced down mexican cokes (real sugar) and a few pacificos when they fixed my power issue. (They were going to call it a day until I sweetened the pot. Poor guys were working overtime in the sweltering TX heat for days on end.)
For the record, i normally love both of my co-op utility companies. After Ike (which hit on the 12th), we had power restored out in the boondocks on the 16th. They normally (both companies) do a great job. Maybe that's why i'm so thrown off. I'm spoiled. :)

And i don't have any problem with them doing their jobs either - i just want them to respect the fact that this is my home.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
speaking of kicking dogs, when I lived up north, I had a friend whose hydro meter was in the fenced bck yard where her labrador retriever lived. One day he came to read the meter and My friend was in the kitchen. All of a sudden, she heard barking and whimpering. The meter reader dude kicker her dog. She had to take him to the vet.

I understand the reason to have respect for utility workers, but really, it goes both ways. I would not be kissing anyone's butt on the chance that my hydro went out if he cost me $$$$ at the vet for injuring my dog. The workers also need to respect the people they work for.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
The lineman seldom know whats going on at the central office as it can be hours away and are only doing as the work order calls for. You may talk to only a few of them in your entire life but they have to take the brunt of vileness from irate costumers everyday.

Also as BBH pointed out people just don't appreciate these guys in keeping our infrastructure up in the worst of weather, I gave up my lineman apprenticeship to be an inside industrial electrician instead. I still had to work on 24,000 volt equipment but at least it wasn't on a 50 foot ladder in a driving rain of hail and lightning.

Lineman has to take the emergency calls when they happen leaving your issue to wait so it is impossible to nail the time down when they will be there, I would have to say you are over reacting plus you should keep your dog away from the workmen.

When you guys say hydro meter that means water right? The dog kick story is 100% one sided and no one will ever know the other side but I have also kicked dogs so hard they did a back flip - my life trumps that of any animal.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
xpc said:
you should keep your dog away from the workmen.
But that's one of the reasons why i want them to call! So i can secure my dog! I'm trying to make this easier for them and me!

And you really do misunderstand me if you think i don't appreciate hard working linemen. I really do.

xpc, when you were a serviceman/lineman, if you had a call to someone's home, and you were doing work outside of their home, close to their house, on their private property, and it wasn't routine meter reading or something, and if all the dogs were secure and no animals were loose, (and knowing that the homeowner did not know when you would be there) would you let the homeowner know that you're there before you started ? I'm not talking about the phone call request. I'm talking about while you're at the house.

That's what i want to know.

If not, then please explain to me why?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
If I could just get the meter reader to close the %&$% gate I'd be happy. There's a sign on it requesting that you do so. I called and complained that my animals were being placed at risk because of their lazy employee. Most of the time they close it now. Most, but not all. :rant
I had to run my fence 6 feet from the house so the meter reader can get to it without entering the dogs area as I would never trust them in the yard with him without me. I asked him when they will be getting the telemetry setup like in the civilized world and he said not in my lifetime.

So I just designed a fence within a fence with a spring loaded gate that will always close and latch behind someone. I can't fathom how a human could walk through a gate and not close it behind them but thats why they make spring loaded hinges.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
xpc, when you were a serviceman/lineman, if you had a call to someone's home, and you were doing work outside of their home, close to their house, on their private property, and it wasn't routine meter reading or something, and if all the dogs were secure and no animals were loose, (and knowing that the homeowner did not know when you would be there) would you let the homeowner know that you're there before you started ? I'm not talking about the phone call request. I'm talking about while you're at the house.

I always let the homeowner know if we had to come onto their property regardless of any service order or not. It is common courtesy and also didn't want to be shot or attacked by big dogs either - so for me being nice was really just all about my safety. But a quick stop at the door was always done.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
xpc said:
PunkinPeep said:

I always let the homeowner know if we had to come onto their property regardless of any service order or not. It is common courtesy and also didn't want to be shot or attacked by big dogs either - so for me being nice was really just all about my safety. But a quick stop at the door was always done.
Thank you! That's what i thought. It just makes sense for them and me.