Problem with our neighbors and the location of their deer stand...

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
Perhaps you should just, on the edge of your property line, put a cheap radio on, and tune it to a "lite rock" station, or maybe Heavy Metal, or NPR... all day long. You know, because it's your property.

:D
NO, she is playing the music for the goats who happen to like it :lol: .

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yeah, but see, the reason I didn't suggest that or any of the other many, many ways to annoy people and spoil their hunting is that annoying some yahoo with a gun and a tendency to disrespect peoples' property and safety is not always the smartest idea...

;) (but I'm serious),

Pat

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ESPECIALLY not in this day and age. Where people find it easiest to go hunting AND drinking away from home.
Of course, most times with people who do stuff like that , they have NO respect for anyone. Talking, from someone other than the law, will probably not help. You should try tho.

BUT DONT YOU DO THAT IN THEIR BACKYARD..... :thun

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok here's what happened today, and we ARE calling the game warden in the morning.

DH and FIL went up to where the deer stand is, staying on our property the entire time. We have barbedwire fence up back there. The neighbor was cutting down trees....clearing his view I guess for when he is in the deer stand....and he dropped some of the limbs on the barbed wire fence knocking it loose! It isn't completely down, but it is sagging now. DH is not happy.

Oh and not all of the trees he cut/trimmed where on his property.

Anyhoo...neighbor wasn't up there, so he doesn't know that DH and FIL have discovered the fence.

For now, plan is to "mark" our territory...and by that, I mean DH and my boys are going to "mark" the territory. ;) Deer won't come through if they smell human scent right? So we are just going to um...put our scent out there everyday :D

I am working on signs now that say no hunting/trespassing/etc without written permission. We thought about running up there in the middle of the night to see if he is poaching deer after dark...because he had the tractor up there after dark....I've also toyed with the idea of just knocking that stand over, but that could be traced back, so figure I best not touch it. ;)

I will let ya'll know what happens with the game warden. I will say this, he misses where he's aiming at and either hits one of my kids or my house I will own him and everything he's got!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
roosmom said:
ESPECIALLY not in this day and age. Where people find it easiest to go hunting AND drinking away from home.
Of course, most times with people who do stuff like that , they have NO respect for anyone. Talking, from someone other than the law, will probably not help. You should try tho.

You are right, these people have no respect or consideration for anyone around here. They moved down from the city and think they can stomp all over any of the ground down here that they want to, theirs or not!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
For now, plan is to "mark" our territory...and by that, I mean DH and my boys are going to "mark" the territory. ;) Deer won't come through if they smell human scent right? So we are just going to um...put our scent out there everyday :D
Now that is *smart*!! It seems unlikely that a human is going to detect that (thus no chance of revenge), and if it's done sufficiently to thoroughly spoil the hunting it may defuse a good bit of the problem right there (in time). <applause>

Good luck with the game warden too,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when we farm the fields at the other land, Tony doesn't want to walk wayyyyy over to the barn with the bathroom, he just Ps wherever...hasn't stopped the deer from trespassing...LOL

but yes, it might deter deer a bit, but they are so used to human things now it isn't like it would be as effective in the olden days.

but ya, try it all...LOL

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
roosmom said:

You are right, these people have no respect or consideration for anyone around here. They moved down from the city and think they can stomp all over any of the ground down here that they want to, theirs or not!
I'm sorry they are doing this, it makes you nervous no matter what the resolution!! Take care and stay safe, I'll be thinking of you.
Tina/tfpets

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, didn't get to call the game warden today like we wanted...we were too busy getting other things done...but we did find those yellow no hunting fishing trapping trespassing etc or violaters will be prosecuted signs for 30 cents each today. We picked up 3 of them for now, and DH is putting them up back there....after he plants more fence posts back there ;)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We are calling the game warden on Monday for sure now. Neighbor was back there (and still is) with his .22 shooting squirrel. DH didn't know he was back there and he was checking the fence line because the Nanny goat was out with her kid. Neighbor calls him over and says "I heard you are p*ssed off because my stand is here" DH says "No s**t because you are less than 500 feet from my house and I have goats up here and a horse coming and this is a pasture field (soon to be completely fenced off).

Neighbor screams at DH that our fence is on him. It isn't, we had it surveyed LAST year after another neighbor tried to claim the same thing. Our fence has been up for YEARS and these people just bought in a couple years ago. DH told him "See that survey stake? that's legal, put in by a licensed surveyor, my fence is NOT on you!"

Now the neighbor is threatening to have his piece surveyed to prove our fence is on him...DH said go ahead, we already had it done. You'll see my fence ISN't on you.

Then he told us to keep our goats in the barn during deer season! He said we should not allow our goats out to pasture during gun season!

I am so mad! DH said we are definitely going to call the game warden now, first thing Monday morning.