Problem with our neighbors and the location of their deer stand...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We did call the game warden. He hasn't returned our call yet.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail,

Here is the website for Ohio and the law for tree stands.
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting.aspx

Tree Stands

It is unlawful to construct, place or use a permanent-type tree stand, or to place spikes, nails, wires or other metal objects into a tree to act as steps or to hold a tree stand on public hunting lands. It is also unlawful to do any of these things on private property without first getting the permission of the landowner or the landowners authorized agent.

Find out if the owner of the property knows that this hunter is using his land. If the owner knows then ask them nicely to have the hunter move his stand so that he aims away from your property.

Fish and Game wardens are so busy this time of year that it may be impossible for them to prove wrongdoing by this hunter. If you can find a law that he has broken you will get a lot further to your goal.

Unless he is breaking the law in some way you will have to put up with this. If he is drinking while hunting that may be against the law....
Check your website for more information.

Please, don't let your emotions get in the way of getting what you want here. The hunter is bound and determined to get his deer and he probably feels like you don't want him to hunt at all. Have the land owner explain that you are worried about your livestock and your children's safety. Also explain to the landowner that your fence was compromised and your livestock was threatened. But don't get excited and yell because then your message won't be heard.

Good luck

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
thank you Shareneh, that is good advice.

We have been leaving him alone for the last few days, too wrapped up in DH getting the job, etc.

When my DH talked to the Department of Wildlife they said that the neighbor is not within the guidelines for hunting, since this area is now considered residential. They told us that he is not allowed to hunt within 500 feet of our home, but it has to be the game warden that comes out and tells him to move his stand.

So for now, we are just keeping close eye on the kids when they are outside and on our goats. If we hear any gunshots, the kids will be told to play inside.

I hate to tell my kids they can't go outside, but I would rather have them safe.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:) I had an idea that there was a limit to how close they could ge4t to residential homes. I am glad you called. I am really glad they are going to take care of it, they are right?
Good Job!

Richard

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I think if you could find some fresh chicken manure, a small dump truck worth.
Spread it near the blind so it stinks real good. Don't get any on his side of the fence.
I don't know what direction your wind blows, but if it blows toward the stand,
I don't think he will sit there and smell it for long.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Richard said:
I think if you could find some fresh chicken manure, a small dump truck worth.
Spread it near the blind so it stinks real good. Don't get any on his side of the fence.
I don't know what direction your wind blows, but if it blows toward the stand,
I don't think he will sit there and smell it for long.
Wow, I'd forgot about this thread!

Actually, they didn't hunt in it last year, and we have reached a mutual understanding with our neighbors.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Quail, it's funny how these threads pop back up isn't it!

I'm also glad to hear that you and your neighbors figured it out!

And Richard, welcome to ss!