propane generator

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a gasoline operated small generator. Buying gasoline for it after hurricane IKE a few years ago was a special challenge. At work, the boss sent out a driver every day with everyone's gas cans, so employees could show up for work. The driver had to go over 100 miles to find operating stations and stations that weren't out of gasoline. Not to mention the expense of ponying up the cash everyday at a time when money is really popular. So, if I were to do it again, especially if I lived out of town, I would definately go porpane. With a full tank, it would give some breathing room while I focused on other areas that needed my attention.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i havent seen any propane powered generators around here. might be a more localized market in different areas.

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FWIW, I am going to look at the tri-fuel option. Propane, NG, or gas. Stored propane will never go bad. Typically the NG supply lines don't go down. It can happen, but seems to be very rare in my area. My plan is to store my propane, and use it as a last resort. Cooking, heating, whatever. NG seems to be fairly cheap. I will use it as long as I can, than go to the back up plans.

buckcreek

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My place has an Onan 7.5KW generator that runs on propane. I have two fuel tanks, 1 - 500gal. and 1 - 1000 gal. Which really only hold 80% of that total. This gives me 2 years worth of fuel, plus. That way, I can wait for a year with lower prices. My rental fee is free on one tank, and $90, on the other. Might seem like alot, but I can save easily $1/gal on fuel, when prices were even higher than now. My generator runs to pump water, and on these dark days, to recharge the battery bank. I also have cookstove, hot water heater(summer), refrigerator and vent-less wall heater(pump room).
This summer, I had alot of problems with my main generator, but luckily, had a back-up gasoline portable 8 KW one to run for a month. Seemed tough, after letting the auto setting work on the main system! What a relief, being able to slowly tinker with the faulty one, and still have a functional means of generating power. Bought it 4 years ago, just in case, and it save my mind!
So ... fuel that doesn't go bad over time, propane, and having a backup, is #1 for my place.

robinhoodie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
In my view you have two options, either get a conversion kit for your gas generator or buy a propane generator. The benefit with the conversion kit is that it's cheap and then you have a generator with a gas tank that can also run on propane, it's good, it's flexible. But it is a bit of a hassle unless you're mechanically gifted and you will void your guarantee on your generator if you do the conversion, at least that's what I suspect. Getting a propane generator is thus a pretty good choice, you have a guarantee, you have a good source of fuel. Propane doesn't spoil like gas and can be stored indefinitely. And if you, like me, don't use it very often, even better because then you don't have to replace that fuel you have in your garage at all, unlike with a gas generator.

Some of my American friends bought their propane generator through http://propanegenerator.biz

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
robinhoodie said:
In my view you have two options, either get a conversion kit for your gas generator or buy a propane generator. The benefit with the conversion kit is that it's cheap and then you have a generator with a gas tank that can also run on propane, it's good, it's flexible. But it is a bit of a hassle unless you're mechanically gifted and you will void your guarantee on your generator if you do the conversion, at least that's what I suspect. Getting a propane generator is thus a pretty good choice, you have a guarantee, you have a good source of fuel. Propane doesn't spoil like gas and can be stored indefinitely. And if you, like me, don't use it very often, even better because then you don't have to replace that fuel you have in your garage at all, unlike with a gas generator.

Some of my American friends bought their propane generator through http://propanegenerator.biz
I'm interested in this conversion you mentioned. How does one convert a 4-stroke gas engine to propane? Is there a kit or something?