Punkins' world....SUNSHINE, seeds and no more drought!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Punkin
glad you checked in...starting to wonder where you were! :)
Glad you had a great holiday.

just sitting here waiting for warm weather like everyone else...sure you are too..HAHA

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Punkin, the outdoor kitchen sounds like a fun project! I just love new projects :D

I need to start thinking about peppers too. I will start them inside in my laundry room, but I really do not have a sunny spot, so I guess as soon as they sprout they will have to go out into the courtyard....kind of defeats the early start though doesn't it? Hmmm......gonna have to think on that one.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
punkin said:
Got your hog jowls and black eyed peas yet?
WHAT?!!

Don'tcha mean sauerkraut and pork ribs?????

:gig

I'll never forget, first year in Tennessee, they all thought we "yankees" were NUTS eating sauerkraut and pork for New Years! E's boss at the time said, "hog jowls and black eyed peas!"

I say, pass the 'taters and 'kraut, but I do enjoy collard greens on the side!!

Hey, punkin, do you have any good places to get some boiled peanuts??? :drool
Hey, Aly.
The first and only boiled peanuts that I have ever liked came from a vendor that was set up downtown during a fall festival. Others I had tried were just mushy and tasteless. These were firm and flavorful. I believe he was out of S. Carolina, but I don't remember the name . . . sorry.

And, . . . uhm, not a black eyed pea and hog jowl fan? LOL I think I could eat both at least once a week. :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OH I love black eyed peas! it's the hog jowl I have an aversion to....it's right up there with pigs feet and cow tongue! :sick

I like boiled peanuts from a can :hide I used to buy them at the local grocery each week when we lived in W. Tn. lol I just need to learn to make my own! :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Then the debate begins... Grandpa said you have to eat black eyed peas for a lucky New Year - but Grandma Nettie always insisted on sauerkraut! We always had an INTERESTING New Years meal! :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Happy New Year Punkin good to see you around. Could you southern gals please explain the fascination with pork and kraut on New Years? My mil makes spare ribs with sauerkraut for her dad every once in a while. He is old and German. Should I get the recipe for New Years???

maybe this is a new tradition???

gina

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
OH I love black eyed peas! it's the hog jowl I have an aversion to....it's right up there with pigs feet and cow tongue! :sick
Then you have never had your hog jowl turned into BACON!! Yeah Buddy! :drool

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Dace said:
Punkin, the outdoor kitchen sounds like a fun project! I just love new projects :D

I need to start thinking about peppers too. I will start them inside in my laundry room, but I really do not have a sunny spot, so I guess as soon as they sprout they will have to go out into the courtyard....kind of defeats the early start though doesn't it? Hmmm......gonna have to think on that one.
Dace, I'm really excited about this outdoor kitchen. We are going to add it on to the back of our garage which is on the north side of the house. I hope that will help keep it cooler. I want 3 large cast iron gas burners to do my canning on. My dad has two and it really heats large pots more quickly than my stovetop.

We are trying to buy things as we come across them, so the expense won't be so much at one time. As it looks now, it will measure about 12 x 20 feet, kind of like a galley kitchen with countertops on both sides. We are going stainless and non-porous (sp) surfaces as much as possible for easier cleaning.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Happy New Year Punkin good to see you around. Could you southern gals please explain the fascination with pork and kraut on New Years? My mil makes spare ribs with sauerkraut for her dad every once in a while. He is old and German. Should I get the recipe for New Years???

maybe this is a new tradition???

gina
This is really the first I've heard of kraut on New Year's. My dad makes alot of kraut so we have it all year long. Maybe it's for those who don't like collards. :idunno

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have a commercial stainless steel sink with two BIG DEEP sinks and a built in drainer on one side. Bought the thing brand new on eBay of all places and spent under $350 DELIVERED to my door! There are bargains out there if you look for them!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my sink! :love