Purpose for this??

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess the point I was trying to make was - if it's broke, don't push it off on someone else to have to get rid of. Just put it in the trash and be done with it.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Funny how we all hear different things when we read. I took the recycle to mean just that. We turn in metal and glass for recycling too. I am also anti clutter. I would get rid of it if it's not fixable or serving a purpose. Just my 2 cents.
Nancy.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrscoyote said:
Funny how we all hear different things when we read. I took the recycle to mean just that. We turn in metal and glass for recycling too. I am also anti clutter. I would get rid of it if it's not fixable or serving a purpose. Just my 2 cents.
Nancy.
That's how I read it, lol. I was wondering why someone was offended by recycling an item. To me, it's recycle, reuse, repurpose... Recycling being something that you send it away for.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
I guess the point I was trying to make was - if it's broke, don't push it off on someone else to have to get rid of. Just put it in the trash and be done with it.
I never said I would push it off on someone. I said I would recycle it. We must be thinking from different lines on this one :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
mrscoyote said:
Nancy.
It is always nice to find another anti-clutter person LOL

ya know I took all pics off the wall when I painted. Those pics are still in the closet. I love them too much to send on their way but the bare walls are wonderful! :) I love the sparse look actually.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The one thing I can't seem to downsize is my dishes. I love and collect pottery. I have it from all over the world. Having less just makes my house look cleaner.
Nancy

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and easier to clean :p

you are right.

for me 'stuff' in a home means it looks messy. (for me) I just like a non cluttered environment. It makes me feel easier somehow. I am probably one step from a clastrophic type person or something, but you can lock me in an elevator and I would be fine (as long as there wasn't stuff in it with me)

I know what you mean on the pottery/dishes. Everyone has that collectible that just catches there eye. I have mine too.

Heck we can't get rid of all of it lol

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
and easier to clean :p

you are right.

for me 'stuff' in a home means it looks messy. (for me) I just like a non cluttered environment. It makes me feel easier somehow. I am probably one step from a clastrophic type person or something, but you can lock me in an elevator and I would be fine (as long as there wasn't stuff in it with me)

I know what you mean on the pottery/dishes. Everyone has that collectible that just catches there eye. I have mine too.

Heck we can't get rid of all of it lol
I feel more in control of my life, the less clutter I have! Too much stuff is just overwhelming to me! And depressing!!!!!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On Our own said:
I have a one gallon insulated jug. Full open lid and a tap dispenser at the bottom.

The plastic O - ring around the tap is broken and I cannot find a replacement.

What else can I use this for?? It leaks now.
Yes, it leaks now. But possibly it could be fixed so that it would work - not sure, since I have not seen/handled it.

But I'd be tempted to think of it as something that might be repaired, either for use with hot drinks or for something else that needs to be kept warm or hot around the home place.

Just some thoughts, but... The O-ring is broken. Why not use hot glue or a good-grade of epoxy to seal the joint between the outer casing of the jug and the base of the tap? True, the glue might be somewhat un-esthetic once it's cured, but how much that matters is up to personal taste.

Just the other day I had need to keep some liquid hot, to carry it outdoors in sub-freezing outdoor temperature. I mixed coarse salt in with water as I brought it to a boil on the stove - to take out to the porch to splash it onto a narrow icy ridge that had formed on the porch. (I had previously scraped compacted snow off the surface of our porch, but an icy ridge of up to a half-inch thick was under the snow and holding fast to the surface.) I wanted to keep the mixture as hot as possible, since it's the combination of the salt and the hot water that works quite quicly to melt ice. I did not have an insulated container, so I had to carry the pot with oven mitts on and the mixture I took out was cooling off as I carried it. And with that jug, for purposes like this, you could even think about removing the tap and permanently filling the hole some way.

Other winter utilitarian (non-drink) uses for a container like that might come to mind...