Putting meat on the table, using what Mother Earth offers us.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Got my second one this afternoon. Gun season is over for me.

Another doe, this one was slighty bigger than the first one.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
As you guys can see from my two posts, I got a 6 pointer last weekend and a nice 7 today!!!

No more bucks this season.....might take a doe, we'll see how much our freezer can hold, we'll give some to our neighbors too, their kids help us an awful lot!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I saw Lori, good job. I'm done 'till bow hunting. Two bow tags to fill.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
DH got his first muzzle loader this weekend. A big 10pt buck. The buck is a bit older so he will provide us with burger, summer sausage, jerky, and the like. My FIL got a big doe and a friend got a good size buck so we have 3 deer. I am processing them myself as I have done for years so I am off to go process lol.....

DH skins and quarters them then I do the rest. I help with all but let him do most of the skinning, though a few yrs ago I did skin one myself.

And all this from a girl that allot of people (my family especially) said would not amount to anything (cooking, canning, ect ect.) They can't believe I garden, can my own veggies, process deer, raise chickens, ect ect... :th :ep

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Wow, got the deer all cut up and first grind done. :weee
Now have to make room for our new corn stove that came in today.....some week of vacation huh???
Then have to mix all the burger and make stuff with it. jerky, summer sausage (found the high temp cheese :th man it is expensive!!!), snack sticks, brats, ect. :drool
So much for my week of baking with my gluten free flour so I can have yummies at Thanksgiving dinner. oh well.... :barnie

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I just sent Lori and Chad some kits from Con Yeager Spice company which is local to me. Jerky, snack sticks, sausage and some wheat/buckwheat flour which is ground locally to me as well.

I have used the high temp cheese, I am not sure its all what its cracked up to be for the price. I think I can get 5 pounds for 22.00 locally. I do like when I am hot smoking, but I don't hot smoke much, mostly cold smoke.

And now to let yuns know I did harvest a gobbler this morning... :weee

I have two big hickory trees at the northwest corner of my property, so I set my blind up there. Yesterday evening, after hours I saw 4 gobblers fly up and roost in the near dark hours. So I got up at 0430 and headed to my blind to wait, at first light two flew right in front of me, so I harvested the bigger one of the two.

I had forgotten how bad they stink when cleaning them. :sick

We will not be eating him tomorrow, he will go into the smoker with 4 chickens, 25 pounds of sausage, about 40 pounds of deer/beef jerky, some salt treated cod (blind robbins/kippers) and the salmon I bought from a farm. I am waiting on my bacon to cure first so it will go in too... If your gonna smoke, might as well do as much as you can at once.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, you guys sure have been busy. Great job Dac's, Lori and everyone else. MP now I can really see those bears. How close is that to home? Are those the bears that visit your pond?

Very interesting!!!!

g

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rifle season began Monday morning here for buck. DH and DS both got one first day, both 4 points. We processed them both ourselves and just finished DH's this evening. Freezer is close to being full. I was so proud of DS,..it was his first deer.
This weekend coming,..back to hunting squirrel and rabbit.

Latest posts