Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I want to say, that I do appreciate and love all of my friends here, but I am only human and I've a lot to learn. I have yet to figure out how to put a hermit's shell around my heart and emotions, but I'm working on it.
No need, that's what keeps us real and human. :hugs

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Of course you know by now that I have six chicks from my broody, thanks to you telling me to leave the eggs a bit longer!!!! I did toss them today, as she was off them too much and they were cold each time I checked them. I suspect four of the five were ok at one point, as they were much heavier than the fifth one.

I also built a nest box for the turkey! :hugs

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Quail, I wanted to let you know, I got an egg from one of my breeding pairs :D I was beginning to wonder about them.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
We can't all be friends, lives are different. But we shouldn't judge each other by income or the way we live. Living SS is a lifestyle, a choice, and it is all we know.

I say "we" because you and I are part of a community, thats the big picture.

With respect as I said in my email;

If you remember you modified your post, therefore everything I said looked mean. I wasn't they only person to offer you the exact same advice as I did. However, saying that, when free mentioned it to me, I went back and re-read the post. It did seem to be insulting after I read it again. I will now assure you that my advice was from my heart, considering your husbands medical conditions. I just thought fixing up your van and saving the rest would be better, in the event he needed future medication. I am sorry if I didn't communicate that to you, but that was my point. Again, I am sorry for that.

For the record, I apologise to you, I was thinking about your husbands medical condition, not how useful the other autos would be. As free and Ann pointed out, I had no business bringing your husband into the conversation. I am sorry for that.

I needed to say sorry, and admit my short comings.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I accept your apology, Jay, and I offer my own.

I agree, not everyone can be friends, but we can be polite and considerate to each other, can't we?

I think it's best if you and I try to stay out of each other's way and agree to NOT post to the other if we disagree with eachother. I think we're like two brick walls, but we're both trying to be the same side of the house, and that just doesn't work, because we're colliding into one another and knocking ourselves brick-less. (that was a lame attempt at humor, so I hope you at least smiled.)

I thank you for thinking of my husband's condition, but maybe I didn't make it clear that at the time we had no form of transportation at all due to the car accident. We drive 2 hours one way for each appointment, so a reliable form of transportation and a back up transportation incase the first fails was our goal. The fixer upper van (not the one that was totaled) in question was in my FIL's name, and if you've read my journal you can see some of the family drama, and we've learned what he says he's going to do and what he does do are normally two different things. I wasn't going to put money in a van that was in his name, just for him to sell the van out from under us (which he's been known to do).

I am sorry if you felt like I had attacked you for standing up for those kids, that was never my intentions at all. Some things that we experience as children, although we learn from them, stay with us forever, and that is why there are those of us who would react differently to certain situations. Which is also why I have my rules about spanking.

I'll agree to disagree, and I'll agree to think before I post any replies and I ask if you will please consider the same?

Now:

Back at the Farm.............. Has anyone read that children's book? My kids love it and so do I! It's hilarious!! Hubby is having a boring day in town while "meanwhile back at the farm"....his wife has struck gold, found a diamond ring, etc. I mean, she just has one lucky strike right after the next!!! ROTFL He comes home and tells her about the happenings of town...and well, you just need to read it if you haven't!!! ........................

I'm up to 4 Dom chicks this morning with a fifth one pipped. But NOTHING and I do mean absolutely nothing from my Sussex eggs (that I really need to hatch to fill an order!) and absolutely nothing nothing nothing from my BBS Orps. Don't need the Orps, just really really want them for my flock!!

I don't get to go to the swap with Becky after all today, because Ernie has to have his pre-op bloodwork done at 11 am in Youngstown (yay read that dripping with sarcasm.) Becky is bringing me some pullets this morning, I think 2 Cuckoo Marans and 2 BJG, that she said she wanted to sell, so yes I jumped on them! She'll also be picking up a pair of Khaki's from my friend in Millersburg for me.

Ernie was borderline of being livid over the pre-op bloodwork today. Mostly because it interferes with stuff we wanted to get completed today before his operation on Tuesday. That, and he doesn't like making last minute unplanned trips. They didn't call for his pre-op work-up and tell us when until yesterday!

I won't lie, I'm very scared for DH's surgery. No one that I know of is going with us, so I'll be in the waiting room by myself. I plan to take some books, my newest Hobby Farm Magazine, and maybe a cross stitch to work on. Packing a homemade lunch for myself, too, because I don't want to have to buy my food while we're up there.

Worried about my animals while I'm gone. I mean, sure, nephew says he'll feed/water everyone while we're gone but when I tell him I'll show him where everything is he replies, "I know where, and I know how, it's not hard." :/

Mom's watching the kiddos while we're up there next week. Might ask her to stop in over here, too, just make sure the critters are fed.

AND I have eggs due to hatch the day after DH's surgery, and I won't be here for that, so hopefully no one messes with my 'bators. These are Black Copper Marans....and I traded an egg turner for them, because no way can I pay $45 for 6 eggs! or in some cases, more. Have ya'll seen what they go for on eBay??!! I have some Welsummers and more Sussex due on the 24th, too, so I hope :fl that since I won't be here to watch, I'll have lots of hatching next week.

*Wonders if she can take the incubator with her to the hospital....*

I've two Royal Palm eggs in the 'bator due next week as well. Then nothing due to hatch until July, which is the Buff Brahma Bantams I put in from my own pair. Was testing fertility before I sent some of her eggs out, and may I say, I was surprised! I've never caught my rooster, Eric, doing his "duty" but those eggs are definitely developing!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well. I certainly feel for you both. I hate hospitals and surgery. My mom had two different surgeries on her back to remove a total of three ruptured discs, way back in the day. It was a tough surgery. Today thanks to lasers and modern science - surgery is MUCH easier and far improved. Healing time is even much shorter. So my prayer is that your hubby gets the relief he needs and the surgery is easy (for both of you) to bear.

Just think what a stress load off it will be when it is all done.

As far as taking the incubator to the hospital ... I don't think you should, but then again I raised a baby squirrel in a box under my desk at work and took a baby raccoon with me in a box to get my root canal done! :p

I wish you had a laptop and wireless at the hospital. That way at least one of us could "sit" with you.

Another thing. Do you have business cards for your hatchery? You probably should. That way when you strike up a conversation about chickens in the waiting room you could make some sales while you wait!

:hugs

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I actually have mock ups for business cards. *Runs off to find the pics*

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Even if you just print up a few it would be a good idea.

I set my business cards out and used a "labels" program to print a few at first. I just printed them on the computer printer on heavy stock and then used a scrapbook paper cutter to cut them out.

I have actually changed them slightly a couple of times doing this, while still having something to hand out to folks.

When I arrived at the "best" card - then I had them professionally printed. No since having 1000 cards that I don't think are the best I can do around.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
QA - Fingers crossed and prayers for you and Ernie.

Its always harder on the one sitting and waiting since the one in surgery sleeps through the whole thing.

Wish I could go with you.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
OK so I didn't design these, a friend did them for me. I haven't printed any yet because my printer went on a permanent vacation. I didn't buy another one because my SIL left one here when she moved out.

I have two designs picked out, because I couldn't decide which design I liked better. Maybe ya'll can help me decide?

aly13bmp.png

100_32201_tbmp.png

I figure I can print them myself at home, except she did them in some program I don't have, and I can't seem to figure out how to get them into my program to print them as business cards. I'm not that computer literate.

Hmmm....I could host a contest with the whole business cards thing...help me choose winner gets.........Uh....would have to think of a SS prize ROTFLMBO

2dream, thank you, I wish I could take everyone with me. lol

FF, my nephew has a wireless laptop, but I highly doubt I could convince him to let me borrow it.

Amos, I'm glad you're finally getting eggs from at least one of your breeding pairs!

Free, congrats on your chickies! I need to pop back in on that broody thread and check for your update. Let me know if your turkey uses the box. My turkey is in a 12x12 CHICKEN box. I don't know how she managed to fit herself in it, but she did.

ETA: Just got off the phone with the hospital. They've rescheduled us to come on Monday for Ernie's pre-op testing due to the storms we are having today. It's pouring poodles right now!

Latest posts