Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am so excited to see all the journals that are being posted! I am really enjoying getting to know all of my friends!

I am trying to wait until the end of each day to post in mine, but I thought until this evening, for now I will post some pictures from around our place. As things change, I will post new pics showing how we have progressed.

Now, remember, everything is a work in progress, and right now our yard is a mess and looks just awful!

This is a view of where we live from the road. I was standing at the bottom of our driveway when I took this picture.
100_2124.jpg

This is coming up the driveway, our empty field to the right.
I really want to plant some fruit trees and wildflowers in that field!
100_2125.jpg

This is at the top of our driveway, but still on the right, and if I had turned completely around, I would have been facing the direction of our trailer. This is part of our winter wood supply.
100_2131.jpg

All that wood you saw in the last picture, is stacked right behind this barn. My husband built this from start to finish, no pre-fab kit, etc. He built it from the ground up. Don't mind the trim, we had painted several colors on it to determine which color we wanted the trim to be. We decided to go with the tan, just haven't finished it yet.
100_2151.jpg

Now I don't have pics of the actual back yard, but I will take a few here in a bit so you can get an idea of the layout, but both my coops are kind of off to the right of the back yard.
This one is the first coop we ever built. Until this year, it was completely built out of recycled materials...even the OSB board was recycled. Just this month, we replaced the roof and inside this coop is where my husband built that little brooder.
Next project for this one is to replace the old OSB with new and paint it.
100_2149.jpg

This is the coop we built this year, and my parents paid for it in exchange for us housing my mom's chickens over the summer months. (Long story, not important. Will tell only if you really want to know!)
100_2138.jpg

The story behind the kids playhouse and doghouse there is we had some younger chicks out there during the summer months and we used those as temporary shelters in a grow out coop for the chicks. I just haven't got around to moving those out of there yet, even though we did already take out the fencing.

I will post more pictures later, but this just gives you an idea.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Yes, I do enjoy having a handy DH around. Today we re-did the skirting on the front of the trailer. It's all done now, no missing pieces, no pieces of OSB for skirting either. All blue matching tin instead. No more cold drafts blowing under the floors now LOL Tomorrow we start on the back side. We did the front first because it is viewable from the road. Here's a picture of the finished look. Looks soo much better than the picture I posted before, I think lol
100_2252.jpg

DH also helped me put in a new roost in the new main coop. We did have a locust limb in there, but my fat butt hens were too heavy for it! It bowed down and fell! So now they have a nice two by four for a roost. LOL Here's a picture of Big John trying it out first.
100_2261.jpg

Then we cleaned up infront of the chicken coops. I was tired of all the junk cluttered through the yard out there. I piled all of the scrap pieces of wood leftover from replacing the coop roof. I also put more of the telephone fence posts around the coop run so nothing can skidaddle under the wire.
100_2263.jpg

DH also split and stacked more wood tody. He just can't sit still if there's light to the day LOL

That's about it for today I guess. Now we are munching on popcorn and I am typing one handed while nursing the baby, and contemplating working on my cross stitch after I get him to sleep.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I wish I had that many coops! I really like the picture of the trailer with the chickens freeranging out front...it just seems so much like 'home'

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I try to give them a couple hours of free range everyday in the afternoon.

I forgot to post that my highlight of the day was collecting my first speckled sussex egg! WHOOHOO!! They are 7 months old and FINALLY someone coughs out an egg! WOOT!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
You do have quite a menagerie. I like the chickens out front, too. I wish I could free range mine. We have too many free range dogs in the neighborhood, 3 are mine.:lol:

Congrats on your first sussex egg!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I try to give them a couple hours of free range everyday in the afternoon.

I forgot to post that my highlight of the day was collecting my first speckled sussex egg! WHOOHOO!! They are 7 months old and FINALLY someone coughs out an egg! WOOT!
Yay!!!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Quail...your place looks so silven and serene! I love it! I like the pick of your man being SS and splitting his wood by hand....my boys prefer to do it this way also.

Hey, are the Speckled Sussex good layers? That roo is beautiful!!! I'm thinking that might be the breed I next add to my flock. I like a variety of colors and egg colors.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nothing like a picture of a man with an axe!
COOL

nice pics. I love seeing them! Hope you are doing good today.

I was surprised to see the kids playhouse with the chickens. I got one of those in the backyard and after Nicole outgrows it, I know what to do with it..HA HA

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Quail...your place looks so silven and serene! I love it! I like the pick of your man being SS and splitting his wood by hand....my boys prefer to do it this way also.

Hey, are the Speckled Sussex good layers? That roo is beautiful!!! I'm thinking that might be the breed I next add to my flock. I like a variety of colors and egg colors.
They are supposed to be good layers...so are the BO...but out of 18 hens, guess how many eggs I have received total?? FOUR!

Of course, they are only 7 months old...sigh....and cold weather is coming on which naturally slows production...bigger sigh.....just gotta convince DH that electric to the coops is a MUST for light for eggs LOLOL

And for my Hubby with the ax, how else do you split wood???? Oh you mean those fancy smancy log splitters??? Um yea, makes it easier, but sooooo out of our budget! Ax may be harder (so much sexier tho!) but it is alot cheaper! LOL

FarmerChick, I have kids young enough to still use that playhouse, but the older kids showed them how to crawl onto the roof and my 3 yr old son fell off, nearly cracking his head open. As punishment they had to donate the playhouse to the chickens! :p

edited to fix my grammer!