Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I'd give you a hug if I could... sometimes life ain't all that smooth. I had to laugh though about you trying to get the roo in, I know people would laugh at me so hard sometimes if they could see me scootin my hens!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Awww....I feel for ya about the eggs. :hugs I hate it when something I've worked so hard for doesn't work out.

Good score on the feed and even better you made a contact for chicks. :woot

I'm sure your stepdad appreciated the spaghetti and the time you spent with him. Time and effort is better than a present any day.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
always go with the gut instinct. you are never wrong with that! You will find that perfect method of hatching and then have 5 million chicks running around..HA HA
Good deal on the store wanting to buy chicks. See, you are a farmer with a business as soon as those chicks are sold! COOL

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So today is going SOOO much better than yesterday!! Ok, well, I shouldn't say better, yesterday was good, except for the whole egg carton with the chicks thing.

First thing this morning, I found Nan in the barn with a brand new baby WHOPPEEE!! For those who missed the earlier thread, here's a picture of our newest addition, Nugget!

328_100_2281.jpg

328_100_2282.jpg

Another good thing, I HAVE TWO PIPS!! and a third egg with a chick screaming and cheeping like mad inside it. The only down side to that, all 3 are eggs of mine, not the kids eggs. :| But I explained to the kids what happened, and if their chicks don't hatch, I have more in the 'bator that are on day 16, so I told them they can take their pick out of any of those chicks that hatch...assuming their chicks don't hatch.

I am bound and determined it seems to make sure those in the hatcher now don't hatch. I accidently bumped the stupid 'bator. I don't know HOW I managed to do that...two eggs rolled a little. I was so mad! So now I am just staying completely out of that room! I was trying to get pictures once an hour, so I could document the hatch. Forget it! the pictures are NOT that important to me. I am too clumsy for it, so I will be happy to wait until they are hatched and dry!

Farmerchick, I was wondering about goats giving birth to twins, and how long between kids, but I found it out by google. And since the baby is now 6+ hours old, I don't think there's a second one on the way :p In a way, I am glad, even though two kids would have been great, I only have one to worry about when the cold weather comes in now! They are predicting we'll have snow tomorrow!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry about the eggs, I hope all works out for you and the kids. congrats on the chick connection, that will be a great thing come spring.

that little Nugget is so cute... I want one!!!

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I kid you not, if all the work around here was done, he'd INVENT something to do!
My husband is the same way. He has been out of work on disability for more than a year now, so that limits what he can do, but he does all he can manage out in the yard and in the shed. His efforts aren't always expended in the direction I would prefer, (dishes, taking out the trash, making beds, etc... :lol: ), but at least he is getting stuff done!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail your baby kid addition is so cute. aren't they adorable...and that one is big! :)

I wrote back on the other thread.

If you happen to catch the birth......then it is simple to know if a second kid is coming. The water bag comes first, then the kid, then if a second kid, another water bag will produce.......but if no second kid they go straight to afterbirth coming out. That is thick, bloody red, bumpy icky goo string.

But, never worry about a second kid. Honestly goats do very well by themselves. I have woken to 5 kids in the pasture in the morning and mom does great. problem is with 5, usually 2 get squished cause mom doesn't know where they are and lays on them....sad but true.

goats blow fast. one kid after another usually quick so being so long, yup she sure is done!

You will have a blast watching that baby jump around. they are fab to watch! :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Nugget's already jumping and skipping! We keep going out to check on her. Funny you said she is big, FarmerChick, because she sure looks small to us :lol: Love her to bits already!

I literally called all my family and bragged on the new baby. You would have thought we gave birth! DH had to run up to his dad's and get him to come down to see the new baby. They are out there checking her out again LOLOL

The kids were absolutely THRILLED to see Nugget. Daddy (DH) picked up Nugget and brought her to the fence for some petting. You would have thought it was Christmas the kids were so excited!

Now I am fixing to make a late dinner, still waiting on eggs to hatch-they are soo slow at that! lol- and then it's baths and bed for the kiddos and quiet time for mom and dad.

I am worried about coyotes with the new baby out there. We heard them in the back field last night, got up and checked on everybody. I doubt DH and I will sleep much tonight if we hear them again...too worried about the new baby!

MorelCabin, I wish you lived closer, too, not just so you could help spoil Nugget, but also because I think you are someone I would be honored to have as a neighbor and friend!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Aww Quail, I think I would be the one honoured...I'm one of those thoughtless people who are just all over the map:>) Well, not totally thoughtless, but often too busy to know when someone else needs me...