Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The wood splitter thing makes me think of my wife's grandparents. They're almost 90, and amazingly still alive and well. Last year, grandma had to go to the doctor for carpal tunnel syndrome. The doctor was asking her, "do you write a lot? or do too much knitting?" and she had to tell him she got it from hauling logs and operating her wood-splitter. HAhahahaha.

Of course, her son (my FIL) got mad because he kept offering to do it, and they've got neighbor boys who always want to help, and they're also all set with PLENTY of money so they could just buy their logs pre-split and not worry about it. But some habits you can't break. So my baby's 90-year-old great grandmother has carpal tunnel from splitting logs. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As punishment they had to donate the playhouse to the chickens!

LOL-LOL-LOL
kids, it is a miracle they live to adulthood..HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ScottyG
the reason they are so active while older and live long is cause they do that hard work.....the more ya move the better ya are long term! I really believe that!

being more of a sedentary society now, no wonder people have diabetes, heart trouble, all kinds of things at age 50.

I plan on moving and farming til at least 100...LOL...then retire..HA HA

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
ScottyG
the reason they are so active while older and live long is cause they do that hard work.....the more ya move the better ya are long term! I really believe that!

being more of a sedentary society now, no wonder people have diabetes, heart trouble, all kinds of things at age 50.

I plan on moving and farming til at least 100...LOL...then retire..HA HA
Same here! I have several friends who's husbands had heart attacks that are younger than my DH! They work sedentary jobs and sit around drinking beer while watching football (nothing wrong with that BTW!) but my DH doesn't stop! I kid you not, if all the work around here was done, he'd INVENT something to do!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
The wood splitter thing makes me think of my wife's grandparents. They're almost 90, and amazingly still alive and well. Last year, grandma had to go to the doctor for carpal tunnel syndrome. The doctor was asking her, "do you write a lot? or do too much knitting?" and she had to tell him she got it from hauling logs and operating her wood-splitter. HAhahahaha.

Of course, her son (my FIL) got mad because he kept offering to do it, and they've got neighbor boys who always want to help, and they're also all set with PLENTY of money so they could just buy their logs pre-split and not worry about it. But some habits you can't break. So my baby's 90-year-old great grandmother has carpal tunnel from splitting logs. :lol:
THATS precious! Country people are sturdy aren't they? My mom gets a "hitch in her gitty-up" every year because of the same reason....hauling big logs to the splitter and pulls a groin muscle, deep to her hip...makes her "gimp around" until I come to visit and fix it for her! :rolleyes:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great oics, so beautiful.

I have one of those little plastic log cabins. My 8 year old is allways on the roof. Thanks, for the warning. Maybe I can use it for a bunny run. Humm.. Or turkey house, or goats?????? Wow I need to think about that one.

Have a great Day, gina

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, we had a day...not the best of days either. My DH woke up out of sorts...don't know what was up his rear, but I was ready to yank a knot in his tail like I would one of the kids and tell him to straighten himself out! Whatever it was, he is either over it, or just feeling better. I know he had a sore throat the last few days, and he isn't all roses when he isn't feeling up to par.

This afternoon we went to my parents house so DH could fix the downstairs commode. My stepdad pays him for doing odd and end jobs around there for them, including small home repairs and mechanical stuff on their vehicles. Well, we felt guilty letting them pay today, as my stepdad was fired from the company that he has worked in for the last 22 years. They have two children at home still, one 13, and my sister who will turn 10 next month. That wouldn't be so bad, except my sister is handicapped and an amputee, so now that he is out of a job, they no longer have medical on my sister. Well, no back up medical. She gets VA since my stepdad is a Navy Veteran, but that only covers anything relating to her SpinaBifida, nothing else.

So we chatted with them a bit, tried to keep them cheered up. Stepdad is getting severance pay for awhile, and he thankfully gets to keep his 401K and they do have some money put back, so they should be OK for now, but not sure how long.

DH worked on skirting some of the back side of the house, today. He ran out of saw blades to cut the tin, so we will have to get more before he can finish.

It started raining this afternoon. I am so happy that we replaced the roof on the bantam coop! The old roof leaked, and it would get mucky inside. Today, I went out to shut the outside door, and all my chooks were warm and dry! Except for retard PJ, the blue silkie roo, who stood out in the rain. Stupid bird! (It's all said with love! He's my favorite!) PJ was named because I found him in the brooder near death at 3 days of age at 4 am in my PJ's. :lol: Our power had gone out and the heat lamp was off for I don't know how long in the middle of the night. I woke up and ran out to our livingroom to loud cheeping from the brooder box. PJ was soaking wet (he had somehow got in the water) and so cold I thought he was dead! My only splash, Emmy, was also a little wet, and not looking too good. I put both chicks in my shirt (yes, in my shirt) so they could get warm. Once the power was back on I quickly got them under the light, grabbed my blow dryer and dried off both chickies. Emmy perked up right away, but PJ took more time, and several days of TLC before I was sure he would make it.

So anyway, I went out into the run to get PJ out of the rain. I got him in the coop, he drops his wing, dances towards me, and just as I am shutting the door, shoots out between my legs back into the rain. I shouted an expletive at this point, ran back out into the coop, grabbed Mr. Happy Pants PJ and shoved him back into the coop. I pull the door behind me and he makes an angry dive for my feet...dummy me wore my flip flops! LOLOL Have you ever seen a silkie, smaller than a milk jug, try to throw his weight around?! I got the door shut and left the coop and I could hear PJ chortling indignantly at me for penning him up. My DH had a great chuckle out of it.

Now I am here, after eating my dinner, trying to catch up on all the posts today.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
That's tough on your DSD. I hope they can work things out. At least they have some money put back.

Cute story about your roo. I'm tenderhearted about stuff like that, too. I've spent lots of time worrying and lost alot of sleep over one of my animals. That's partially the reason why I haven't gotten goats yet. I can't stand them being outside by themselves.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I have put so much heart and effort into my flock this year, it isn't funny. If I had to put a price on my flock to sell it, I couldn't! I have treated each and every chick like they are a vital part to our survival (and in a way, they are) because I was determined to have breeding stock and chicks available for sale next spring as well as hatching eggs. It's my way of having something I enjoy, but can also use it to supplement our income. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well my good day went to pot this evening.

Started out good. Went to town and got layer at the feedstore for $9 a bag! Normally it's $10-$11 a bag. Well, we picked up 5 bags and the guy who runs it says, "Gotta alot of chickens?" and I replied, "Yes, I have 100+ and am hoping to be selling chicks come spring."

Well he gets all excited over this and says that their vendors were wanting them to start carrying chicks in spring, but he said they would rather buy local. He then asks me if I will bring him a list of the chicken breeds I have when I am ready. I said sure. Then he asked if when they are ready to sell chicks, could they buy whatever I have available?

I am sure the next county heard my excited YEEES!! Course I maintained my composure, politely told him, sure I would be up for that, but the whole way home I was shouting praises and hallelujahs!

So today was stepdads birthday so I invited them to come eat spaghetti dinner for a birthday present. That was better than buying a gift, because he loves my spaghetti. So we had a nice dinner and visit, and they went home.

I just went in to turn eggs and check temps on the hatcher. I am not happy. I decided to use the egg carton method. Well, now I might not have any chicks hatch PERIOD! If I do, it will be a miracle! The stupid carton soaked up the water! The carton was wet and soggy...and yes I opened that 'bator even tho everyone says you shouldn't the last three days. I took out the soggy carton, soaked out just a tad of the water in the wells, carefully candled a few of the eggs. I only saw movement in ONE. It's a frizzle.

I am so so mad. These were the kids science project eggs! They were due to hatch on Monday and they have all been so excited! Now I have probably drowned all their chicks! I know the sizzle egg has a screaming cheeping chick in it, and I heard it picking from inside it's shell, one frizzle had movement, and my daughter's chick was pecking in it's shell. No noise from the others.

I am telling you, I am going to do some serious praying this weekend. If I drowned those babies, all of which were active last night when I put them in the hatcher, then I am going to have some pretty upset youngin's. How do I tell them mommy murdered their chicks?

I am NOT listening to anyone ever again about the egg carton method. Last night my gut was saying the carton was a bad idea, but I ignored my gut and went to bed. I always regret ignoring my gut instincts. This time I really regret it because my kids are going to be upset. I know, it was an accident, but my kids were soo excited. And I don't know that I can get anymore eggs to hatch right now, and if I could, I don't know that DH would go to well with hatching more right now, given the time of year it is.

ARGH! :barnie