Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My grandma was an RN. She took care of premature babies in the NICU born addicted to crack and diabetics.

She raised 9 children and several foster children.

Her 9 children grew up and had 29 children (30 if you count my step sister)

Those 29 grandchildren grew up and have 39 children - with three more on the way counting the one I'm having - and if you count my step sister's kids, it's 41 great grandchildren with 3 more on the way.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
yea, I did, too. :) My Aunt is having a hard time of it, because she was just about the only kid who made the effort to spend time with GMa. She spent the last few weeks begging people to go visit her.

Here's how selfish I am - I didn't want my last memory of Grandma to be of her not remembering who I was. So for the longest time, I shied away from the nursing home because I knew she didn't remember her family anymore.

Then one of my uncles or an aunt or someone brought her to a cousins wedding last year.

And then she was at a cookout.

And then she was at last Thanksgiving.

So even though she didn't remember us, family still included her.

And it was hard, because she didn't remember us, and she didn't talk well. It was like having an 82 year old baby.

She had diapers. She babbled. She drooled. She made messes with her food.

She was still loved.

So when I went last week to see her, I felt God blessed me. She recognized me. For one fleeting moment, she knew me. She showed interest in the news of a coming baby.

So I can honestly say, God gave me my wish. He gave me a last memory of my Grandma - and I can say she knew me.

I love you Grandma.

This is one of our 4 Generation photos - taken 6 years ago when my 4th child was a newborn. This was when Grandma was just starting to go down hill.
My Grandma was the oldest daughter of 3 and the oldest child of 3. My mom was the oldest daughter of 4 girls (but she was the fifth child of 9). I am the oldest child of 5, and the oldest daughter of 2. My Daughter is the oldest of 6, oldest daughter of 2.

14550_4generations.jpg

My only sadness is Grandma will not be here to hold my new baby girl this fall.

I do still have my Nanny left in Georgia - my dad's mom - and it is my hope to go down there this Christmas, with all 6 of my children, and get photos of at least one great grandparent with her great grand babies.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I lost my grandmother in February. She was 89. It's not easy, but it gets better. I know this sounds cliche, but I'm sorry for your loss.

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss QA. It is truly a miracle God can create at times and I'm so glad you got your wish of her recognizing you one last time. :hugs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a great picture! 4 Generations. We have one photo, of my sister and her son....a 5 generation picture. That is priceless...but I guess is proves we all had kids young. LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We've had 3 or 4 of those generation photos taken. First one when my DD was 4 months old.

Grandma was 27 when she had my mom.

Grandma was 50 and my mom was 23 when I was born.

Grandma was 70 and my mom was 43 when at 20, I had my DD.

so, yea, i guess we all had kids fairly young.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sorry Aly. :hugs That is a wonderful picture of you all.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm so sorry your Grandma passed away. Hugs, and my prayers are with you and your family. It's so wonderful that you got to see her and she recognized you though. Your las few posts brought tears to my eyes. I do hope you have a wonderful time with your family and everyone becomes closer, even though it's such a tragic reason for getting together.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Ugh, it's so hot today - I think I melted!

and I broke the ice cream rule - eating my second cone of the day now. Usually try to keep it to one a week.

but. I ate melon and strawberries and blueberries before the ice cream, so I think that cancels out the cone?

Right?

just go with it.

My brother called me from Missouri to find out funeral arrangements. I don't even know the arrangements yet. He's trying to figure out what's the earliest he needs to leave MO. I told him to just hit the road NOW. He's already been OK'ed to go - i think - ...so....c'mon!

kids have been little terrors today. just wanting to get into everything.

have my first beek meeting July 9. YAY can't wait!

dr. appt tomorrow. with how i've been feeling, i'm not sure i'll make it to my due date.