Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sorry about the rats :(
I hate wild rats! They're awful! Hope you take care of the problem!
PS I have your package ready! I just gotta get to the P.O. now!! I'm awful!!
Tina/tfpets

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So I spent today cleaning and baking. I managed to get the livingroom and kitchen areas pretty clean, then I commenced messing up the kitchen :p

Harley's Girl's husband came out to go bow hunting. DH went out with him to show him the best hunting spots. They saw five deer as soon as they entered the woods. They came in to eat some pot roast and fresh baked bread, and then Harley's husband went back out. We expect him back anytime now, since it is nearly dark :)

I also made caramel apples today. I wrapped two of them up in plastic wrap and tied them with pretty blue ribbon to send home with "L" for his daughters. I am also sending the second loaf of bread home with them.

Now I am baking chocolate chip cookies. DH and kids are thrilled that I am in a baking mood. Usually, I bake up a storm when I am in this kind of mood.

Pumpkin pie is next on the list...will be starting that as soon as the cookies are done :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This might work for the rat problem.
If you have any buckets, fill them with water, thread a wire over the water and put out PB on it or whatever you want to use as bait. The rat should reach for the food and fall into the water (not being able to get out) and drown.
You will need to cover it up during the day but at night when the chickies are locked in you can leave it primed to go. Hope it works for you.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I get in those baking moods, too. I like to make mini quiches to freeze and have as I need them. They are yummy and suprisingly easy.

And just the mention of pumpkin pies makes me want to lay some pumpkin out of the freezer. I can eat those things for breakfast. :p

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Welp, didn't get to do the pie...didn't have any ground cloves on hand. So, I'll be going down to the store to pick some up in the morning and making the pie tomorrow.

roosmom, told my DH the idea for the rats, we might try it.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good luck, If the wire doesnt work, try threading a stick onto the wire and suspend that over the water with PB smeared on it. When they go to get on the stick, it unbalances them and into the water they go. Kinda like treading on a log? :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
.... I think I want to try again come spring. I know my mom really wants marans, so I am going to do my best to get her some. Wanted to give her some for Christmas, but that didn't work. ..... Hugs to ya'll!
QA - I have a pair of Cuckoo Marans that are just about 17 weeks old. They are looking for a new home. Let me know if you're interested.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
roosmom said:
If you have any buckets, fill them with water, thread a wire over the water and put out PB on it or whatever you want to use as bait. The rat should reach for the food and fall into the water (not being able to get out) and drown.
You will need to cover it up during the day but at night when the chickies are locked in you can leave it primed to go. Hope it works for you.
Coat some veg oil on the inside top of the bucket. That way the larger ones can't get a good grip on the top edge of the bucket. It worked for us.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
roosmom said:
Coat some veg oil on the inside top of the bucket. That way the larger ones can't get a good grip on the top edge of the bucket. It worked for us.
Good idea keljonma.
QA, hubby just told me that if you take a pop / beer can and poke a hole thru the other end, then thread the wire thru it and smear it well with PB it will work better. He also said to make sure that the bucket has water in it or used motor oil. Enough so they drown.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You have to make sure to remove the dead rats frequently, because if you let them pile up, the new ones into the bucket use the dead ones for stepping stones to get out. That's why you need the top portion oiled so they slide back down.......