Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, finally, we are getting eggs...er well, an egg..LOL one buff orpington hen finally decided to give it up and we have been getting one egg a day from her. Today she laid her egg, and then didn't leave the nest box. She nearly took Dh's hand off when he tried to collect it, too. I hope that means she's gonna be a good broody...too bad her timing is off! I don't want to let hens set until spring.

I made pumpkin muffins today with cream cheese frosting. They were a huge hit and the DH and kids ate all of them :th

I moved 19 eggs to the hatcher today :fl that they all hatch. These are for my breeding pens, assuming they all hatch and make it to adult hood. :fl I moved 11 silkies, 7 Mille Fleurs, and 1 lt brahma.

On Friday I will be putting Blue Cochins and Salmon Faverolles in the hatcher. I am going to be a nervous wreck all week!

My 3 year old jumped off his brothers bunk bed today. He isn't supposed to be on their bed. But he climbed up there, dived off. Huge knot on his head. I made him stay up past his bedtime until I was sure he was OK. I didn't have ice, so I put a pack of frozen brussel sprouts on his bump. :p It was better than nothing!

I fell in the mud this evening trying to get my stupid black sumatra rooster in the coop where it was warmer. That neurotic chicken was going to roost in a tree...and it's supposed to drop to freezing tonight!

DH was helping me try to catch him...well Jett, the roo, was in the run, in a tree, so I go into the coop...the only way into the run is through the tiny chicken door....a small square door that my wide hips barely fit through! Going out was ok, except soon as I stand up, Jett jumps onto the coop roof. I manage to chase him off, and he lands outside the run...goofball....so I start to climb back through the chicken door and SQUISH!! my hand lands right in a HUGE pile of chicken poop! It was sooo gross!

So now I'm disgusted and fuming....I get outside the coop....we give chase around the yard for a bit, and it's getting darker, and yes the poop is still on my hand....it's freezing at this point, and I am about ready to give up when OMG Jett walks right into the coop ON HIS OWN and jumps on a roost. :he

So DH and I head back to the house and I wash off the poop all the while he's laughing about how funny it was especially when I started screaming "Ew yuck I got my hand in poop!" :rolleyes:

Men :barnie

The highlight of the day was my 3 month old laughed at me :love

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Aw, that is quite a day!!! Yay about the egg and especially the laughing baby. :D
Sorry about the mud and poop. I manage to forget every fall that our backyard slopes slightly. I go off down to the coop confidently but the top layer of the ground is all squishy and my foot goes sliding out from under me. I end up twisting my knee and landing on my butt in the mud. And it's usually when I'm trying to get to work and I'm due to run a load of laundry. Hate that!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I think your roo was just playin' with ya. He must have needed a good laugh. :gig Good luck on all the eggs.

Glad your 3 year old is OK. Thank God kids are tough as nails.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks for the vivid description and the laugh this morning. I needed a good laugh. So I won't say I am sorry for the poo and slip.

And just remember - our DH's love us cause we keep them laughing. LOL Mine has given me strict instructions not to chase chickens unless he is home to sit back and watch.

Kids - Its always something. Glad it was not serious.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Glad ya'll got a good laugh :D

Yea, my 3 yr old is just fine...he was the first on up this morning and we caught him picking chicks up out of the brooder :rolleyes: He said, "Look at my Chickie Mama!"

Yup, back to boys will be boys as usual :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Quail
popping in to say HI
hope all is good

you sure run around with those chickens! LOL

my layers are slowing also. I hate that....tons of customers want eggs and those stupid chickens go slower....ugh...yet they eat the same! :( LOL

DID I READ right???? 19 eggs in the hatcher!? Didn't hubby say no more hatching? LOL---hmm....you bucking the system there? HA HA

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well see, he said no more hatching after what I have in there now is done hatching.....he just didn't realize I had staggered hatches in there!

:gig

The last few in the incubator are due to hatch November 4, after that, no more hatching until February...January if I can get away with it :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
quick---get some more in and tell them they were already in there! LOL-LOL

girl, you are going to have as many chickens as me soon! :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Oh you poor thing running around like that! One of my roos, Brad, likes to do crazy stuff like that, too. I think they discuss it at night...how to make me look stupid and all the antics when I do..ugh.

Glad you're boy is ok! Like I always say about stuff like that...if they get hurt, that means they won't do it again....hehe

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
If I hear the phrase "Boys will be Boys" just once more, I am seriously going to slap the person that says it!

Today, the boys decided the clean clothes in the dresser needed to come out and their TOYS needed to go IN it. On top of that, they pulled out the drawers to use them as steps to climb to the top....dresser falls forward, nearly lands on 3 yr old son....thankfully I was fast and ran back there and grabbed it before it landed completely on him. He was fine, until I spanked all of them! I was sooo mad!

They literally kept me on my toes all day. Only two things I accomplished are cleaning the ferret cage and cleaning out the nesting boxes. :barnie

Now I am off to do some dishes.

Ya'll hold down the fort LOL