Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Well, never had goats... but a friend growing up had 1 sheep. To entice the stubborn ewe anywhere, my friend would carry a bucket of treats (feed of some sort, I guess). Then before going away (like to friend's or to school), my friend would have to put the ewe in the barn, tie her to a hitch (like for horse bridles), and use a Master padlock on the barn door. Sounds like overkill, but was the only way to keep the darn thing in the barn. :)

My dh hates chicken wrangling..... I like the zen approach... :lol:;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Quail, your goat saga is pretty entertaining from where I sit :gig
What would happen if you just let Nan roam?

Bee, you are a clever lady.....why is it that we tend to let things overwhelm us to the point that we can't/don't take action and then an outsider comes in and see the solution so clearly we feel like an idiot? Funny story :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Dace said:
Quail, your goat saga is pretty entertaining from where I sit :gig
What would happen if you just let Nan roam?
Well, she doesn't go far if there is green grass, but since the neighbor has that tree stand up, we don't trust him not to shoot her if she's out.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Nothing so far. They haven't been back in their stand, and the game warden never called.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, I must be a glutton for punishment. I seriously think I need my head checked....

Last night I told DH you have to take the boards down and let the goats out of the barn area. He was MAD that I made him do that, says fine, the goats are now yours and I do nothing for them. (man in a tirade ya know? lol) So I said fine, I'll worry about them, you just go to work.

So this morning I woke up really dreading facing Mrs. Houdini. DH left for work business as usual. I drank my second cup of coffee, checked things online, while I waited for daylight. Then I went outside to find the goats, feed the chickens, etc. Amazingly she was STILL in the fence! I thought, ok give it an hour or two, she'll be out.

I gave them their morning grain and water, fed and watered the chooks, and went on about business as usual. Filled the woodbox, brought more wood in the house, and baked cookies with the kids. Looked out the window and whaddya know, she's OUT.

So I bundled up and grabbed some stale bread I was going to take to the chickens and figured I would catch Nan while I was at it. She sees me coming and, wait what is this? She is running TOWARDS me bawling and all looking happy. She nibbles at the bag of bread in my hand, bumps me with her head a little bit, so I scratch her ears and give her a piece of bread. She gobbled that down, but me not being sure if the bread will hurt her or not I hurry up and toss it in the chicken coop for the chooks and get the goats treat.

I was worried about opening that gate. I just knew Elroy was going to charge out and be after me. So I decided to take a chance because by now Nan is really bumping against me for that treat in my hands, so I open the gate, toss the treat in, and she bolts in the gate for it. Nugget follows her right on in, too. Elroy never once made a move at me.

And that was it! She never got out today after that! I was feeling pretty pleased about it. I went out to clean out the nesting boxes and put in fresh straw for the few girls that are laying. I made a point of going over to the goat shed and patting both Nan and Elroy on their necks and telling them how happy I was that they were being good.

Mom calls. Do I want more goats? They found two free nannys, and they want them, but would I keep them for them?

HAHAHAHA I said yes! Like I said, glutton for punishment! but I know I will end up with them because they won't come out and see them..it's like a new toy, ya know? They want them because they are cute, but then the novelty wears off and I get them. Happened the last time with a goat they had that we took care of for them....it got to where we were supplying the feed and they weren't reimbursing us the costs, so we told them, goats gotta go.

Not this time though. This time, if they don't help out, well, possession is nine tenths the law, and well, if I can get Elroy and Nan to listen, I might work on building that goat herd after all!

Oh and the two newbies should be here tonight! Both female, both a year and a half old, and never been bred! They have only been used as family pets.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yea! New goats! looks like you will be building a goat herd pen for them soon :)

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good girl! See, it just took a while for Nan to train you! Humans are pretty stubborn, you see. We insist on having the upper hand all of the time. Once we are shown whose in really charge, and put in our places, things get a chance to settle down. Now it is up to you to serve her treats and meet her needs, pet her head and feed her belly! NOW! Gotta love 'em!
And see, you are following the natural progression of things, and gradually allowing yourself to be taken over by a whole herd! What a good goat mom you are! :D

Take care! Tina

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D Now you know that animals are just like kids, they need and want attention. All you had to do was giver her POSITIVE attention.

How was the home school village today?

Oh yeah......I dont wanta here any whining from you when all 10 of them are clamoring for your attention :lol:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
QA I have missed so many days reading everyones journals it is impossible to catch up. I just wanted to jump in and say YEAH on the goat being good today. I read enough to know she has been a problem.

I am planning to have goats by next spring. Hope you won't mind helping me along the way after I get them.