Question for St. Bernard owners....Baby pix of my new..uh..Newfie?

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
..... They don't eat much, my lab ate more than them.
LOL I had to comment on this part.... I think Labs eat more than anybody!!! My neighbor has 4 English Mastiffs (1 is 240#) and keeps a bag of dog food about the same time I do with 2 Labs :lol: .
My 14yr old Lab averaged about 70#, my 2yr old is 105#, will probably finish close to there or a little more. If you can survive 2-3yrs with a 70lb "puppy" you are in great shape!

Rio (2yr old) carries saddlebags, I have actually been looking at some cart info as well. I don't think a draft horse halter would fit his deep chest though

ooooh tortoise... info?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm trying to imagine just how this halter would be fitting on this large dog....is it fitting around the legs and chest? Just how large are the horses in your area???? :th

Pics or explanations? :p
:lol: Have you ever seen the head on an 17 hand walking horse? Or how about a draft horse!? BIG HEADS.

Basically for a dog you would put head through nose hole, legs through the cheek piece and buckle the crown portion around the back. Then hitch to the crown rings (the round ones).

Halter Pic

OR you could invert that and use it more like this:

Dog Drafting harness

I would do something to pad the breast strap if you are going to use it a bunch. Also look for a halter with a adjustable nose. That would make fitting far easier.

When we used it on the pony we simply hung the halter over her neck and attached the tow ropes to the cheek pieces of the halter. The mesh straps of the throat piece were across her chest in addition to the nose pieces. That all helped to spread the load out over her chest and shoulders since the shoulder is where horses pull from. We just used it in short bursts or we would probably have made her sore, but have you ever tried finding a work collar sized for a 36 inch pony? Not an easy or cheap task.

By the way the second company Black Ice Dog Sledding Equipment, I have done business with for years. Decent people.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
AL said:
ooooh tortoise... info?
I can make freighting (weight pull), skijoring/sledding, and "sport" harnesses. Sport harnesses are for everything from tracking, protection sport, canicross, carting...

Right now I only have black webbing, but I have a lot of padding colors. Actually I have some tannish/gold webbing that is very pretty too. I can order many, many custom colors too.

Sport harness (not set up for carting):
Remi Sport Harness by tortoise11, on Flickr

Freighting (weight pull) harness:
Lavendar-Purple Weight Pull Harness by tortoise11, on Flickr

Another sport harness, this one showing the chest plate. This is the gold/tan webbing. I bought it to match this dog. :rolleyes:

emma sport harness by tortoise11, on Flickr

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks, Farm....I think I can picture it now! :) I can see that fitting on my lab but would it fit on a SB also? They seem sort of....thick through the chest.

Tort, how much would one of those pulling harnesses cost?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
In the $35+ shipping range. A little extra for a REALLY big dog. :)

I have the body of a wagon to make a cart for my dog. I thought I shouldn't make the harness until I know exactly how the thing all goes together.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's not so bad! :) I have a two wheeled cart that I could adapt...its very lightweight. Never know when one will have to head for the hills and need help carrying the essentials.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
OMG Tortoise, that last dog picture is a riot! :gig

Really made me smile. Dogs are so stinkin' cute.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Have you been to see the pups yet Bee or did I miss it?
I meant to do so this week but life took hold, so I will try to this next week. I'll take pics to show! :D

My old Lucy must have heard my speaking of her age and health...she has been pretty frisky this past few days and is looking better than she has all summer. The cooler weather seems to have invigerated my animals in general.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Went to see the pups and firstly, Mom is not what they think she is. She is a very typical Visla. I didn't get to visualize Dad but I'm thinking he might be a black and white Newfie...you know the ones that sort of look just like a SB?

These pups are all black Newfies!!! :lol: No mistaking that build, the head, the paws, the coat. Smaller because of the smaller build of the mother and look to have a shorter coat than a purebred Newfie but definitely not like any SB I've ever seen.

Here is a pic of Dewley...pick of the litter and only 4 wks old. Mom was trying to wean them and she looked very poor from feeding 11 pups. These folks had the pups eating softened puppy chow to help her feed them.

5_dewley_and_wedding_004.jpg

He had a bath and was wormed....and you will now get to see the first load of monsters inside this pup!!! I counted approx. 50 round worms of about 3 in. in length in this first expulsion. :sick

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like this come out of one of my dogs!!! :th I believe he has more as his gut is very distended.

5_dewley_and_wedding_018.jpg

Yeah...I know I was just going to go and look at the pups but I have always wanted a Newfie since I was a very little girl. I couldn't pass up the chance! :D