1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Questions about vaccum sealing and long term food storage

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by chickenjoe, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Feb 6, 2013
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Cheepo, I got wheat at the LDS food center in Houston. The Mormons believe in keeping a years worth of food and they have home storage centers to help their members or anyone else do so. I copied the centers in Canada. Hope this helps!

http://providentliving.org/self-reliance/food-storage/home-storage-center-locations?lang=eng

Canada

AB-Calgary

403-444-5161

7040 Farrell Rd SE

Calgary, AB T2H 0T2

AB-Lethbridge

403-320-1505

484 WT Hill Blvd South STE 5

Lethbridge, AB T1J 4Z9

AB-Sherwood Park

780-464-6151

49 Cree Rd

Sherwood Park, AB T8A 3X9

BC-Vancouver

604-882-7586

9355B 198th St # 105B

Langley, BC V1M 3J9

ON-Toronto

416-741-3253

85 Queens Plate Dr

Etobicoke, ON M9W 7K4

2. Feb 6, 2013
    moolie

moolie Almost Self-Reliant

Interesting that we have 4 in Alberta (big Mormon population here) but that the only other ones are one in Vancouver (well, Langley anyway--just over an hour away from cheepo) and one in Toronto. Must not be a lot of Canadian Mormons outside of Alberta.

I may have to check them out, I know the area where the Calgary one is quite well and think I even know where it is. :)

3. Feb 6, 2013
    Corn Woman

Corn Woman Almost Self-Reliant

You can also go into the LDS food centers and use the equipment to can dry goods in the #10 size metal cans. They have dry beans, wheat, rice, ect. The one close to me has the oxygen absorber packs as well.

4. Feb 6, 2013
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

We have one of those places somewhere around Nashville and I have been meaning to go sometime. I don't even know any Mormons around here :hu

5. Feb 6, 2013
    cheepo

cheepo Lovin' The Homestead

bay mule...i will definately check into that..
    thanks 4pointing it out.
    have hear of Lds think some in the states are quite good...
    langley is very duable...
    thanks so much

6. Feb 7, 2013
    baymule

You are so very welcome! I paid $11.25 for a 25 pound bag. They had hard red wheat and hard white wheat, so I got a bag of each. I have been having fun playing around with my new Family Grain Mill and making really FRESH bread! It is so good! The LDS food center I went to even has a peanut butter plant. They have dried apples, pastas, and all sorts of long term storage items. I'm not into storing buckets of stuff I don't use, so I like what Moolie says, Store what you eat and eat what you store (if I said that right). I will definately go back to the LDS food center.

7. May 13, 2013
    PacasNChicks

PacasNChicks Enjoys Recycling

I'm LDS and everyone, Members or not are welcome to use the Cannery. They sell food in the #10 cans which is what I use now. I had alot of my food in food grade buckets and upon talking to a worker at the Cannery, they had just had a mtg and with some research being done, realized that the food grad buckets weren't the best to be using. So, I bought about 100 cans/lids and my mom and I borrowed a canner and set up shop in my kitchen, transferring everything into the cans! with the absorbers except for the sugar. Didn't take long at all , those canners work great!
    We as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints want everyone to be as prepared as our church has taught us to be. So many members have lived off the food stored when jobs were lost or in weather damaged areas. The more people who are getting themselves prepared, the more of us can help those who might be in need of help.

I just joined this forum and so far, I love it!!! thanks for all the info and tips I am saving on my computer!!!

8. May 14, 2013
    baymule

:welcome We are so glad to have you here! I was very impressed with the LDS cannery in the Houston area. The lady waiting on me and my friend was so helpful and so nice. I live in hurricane country and sometimes we go several weeks with no power, so it is nice to have food stored up. The grocery stores get wiped out and what is left spoils with no power. Anybody that is close to a LDS cannery should go stock up!

9. May 14, 2013
    PacasNChicks

PacasNChicks Enjoys Recycling

thank you for the warm welcome!

It will also be nice when I don't have to pack all my food storage from house to garage ... garage to house because of the heat! I am so looking forward to living in the Wt Mts for many reasons. I heard that the Walmart up there sells the dehydrated foods also which I will check out asap, we can never have enuff food storage!

again, thanks for all the info on here!