Quick chicken stock question???

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't give the dog cooked chicken bones. They splinter and can really harm your dog. I dunno about the chickens. I would pull out the bones and put those into the compost or something, and give the chickens the rest, but that's just me.

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
They might pick at the veggies, hard to say. If you wanted to sort that out go ahead. Once bones are heated they are prone to shattering and splintering which can do damage to your dog's digestive system. If fed raw they are fine and will pass without issue.

If it was me Id pull out the bones and toss them far in the woods. The rest would go on the compost pile and be done with it.

edited for typos

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That would be great if I had woods. :p I think there just going in the trash. The little rib bones are so darn small there is no way I would get them all out.

g

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
what everyone else said about bones for dogs

but

if i cook the stock for like .. oh 2 days.. the bones just disintegrate into mush and then i run them thru the food processor with the other bits and bobs of stuff for pet food. but just to be safe, i generally give the bones and stuff to the cats. they pick thru the yums and leave the bones.

:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
what everyone else said about bones for dogs

but

if i cook the stock for like .. oh 2 days.. the bones just disintegrate into mush and then i run them thru the food processor with the other bits and bobs of stuff for pet food. but just to be safe, i generally give the bones and stuff to the cats. they pick thru the yums and leave the bones.

:)
Thats what I do, except I add a glug of ACV to the pot.

EllenDee

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
In regards to the bones for the dogs, if you use a pressure cooker to make the stock, the bones will just crumble up and are safe to give - I use my leftover bone/meat mess as the basis for dog "biscotti", or just mix it into their main meals. Bones cooked at normal temperatures will splinter and are unsafe however.

In regards to skimming the stock, this is just because most people don't want too much fat - I skim mine because I use a lot of bits of skin etc. making the stock, but then I recover it for using in other dishes or for soap.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I have chicken backs and necks in the stock pot right with the usual veggies. The kids are down with the stomach flu and DW is very busy today - so I decided to stay at home with the kids and make some fresh soup.

You all inspired me! Fat or not to fat, that is the question now... :lol

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Jamie your kids are so lucky to have you. The soup will do them wonders.

The only reason I questioned the fat was because I though it had something to do with the jar sealing. I have skimmed and not skimmed before.

This last time I had such a busy day. I did strain the broth twice. First through a colander for the big chunks and then I used Butter Muslin.

Thanks to whoever suggested Butter Muslin it works wonderful. I saved some for my kefir cheese.

Anyways, I ended up with 12 gorgeous pints of gold broth with about 1/2 inch of fat per jar. I'm good with that.

The dog never got the bones. Dh said because they boiled for almost 24 hours they would "probably" be ok. I didn't want to chance it.

:idunno

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Is is bad that I feed the scraps from the stock to my
hens?

Including the bones?