Quick salsa

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This salsa starts with canned petite diced tomatoes. I found with all the tomato scares I prefer to use my own tomatoes or when out of season, canned. Trick is to drain and rinse diced tomatoes in very cold water in a strainer. Then add diced onions, peppers, jalapenos and fresh cilantro. Then add hot sauce to taste. I keep a jar of homemade salsa in the fridge at all times. Dh loves omelets with it in it, hashbrowns, used on grilled chicken, etc.
In summer you can dice up any fruit to add to it, very good with meats.

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What a good tip! We use tons of salsa here, too.

Not only do we all like it just to munch on, but ds eats eggs with tortillas, potatoes, etc. every morning before work, and he eats it with salsa.

Thanks so much! :)

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Actually, I learned to use the petite diced tomatoes from a t.v. chef, can't tell you how much time that cuts out. LOL Love it and they taste like they are right out of the garden. Sounds like you, Tutter, use the salsa as much as we do. :D

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My recipe is very similar to yours.

2 cans diced tomatoes, preferably the kind with chilis or jalepanos already in them.
1 large can black beans, undrained
1 good sized red onion, diced (love that dicer gizmo from tv! I got mine for $2 at a yard sale)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 small can either green (anaheim) chilis or jalepanos, depending on the amount of "heat" you like
a dash or two of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)

Put the black beans, juice and all, into a medium sized mixing bowl and "smoosh" them a bit.
Add the canned tomatoes, juice and all, as well as the diced onion, chopped cilantro, and canned chili/jalepano. Add optional ingredients if desired. Stir and let sit a while so the flavors mingle. Serve with baked tortilla chips.

This is really good over baked chicken breasts, either as a condiment or baked onto the chicken in the last 10-15 minutes of cooking. Also good on baked potatoes or scrambled eggs.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
My dad just tryed it. Very good. I didn't have onion but we did have:
Fresh jalepeno
Fresh Cilantro
Canned tomatos
Hot sauce
Salt & Pepper

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
good job there ticks, the key is to rinse the tomatoes in cold water, makes them taste like you picked them!

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Play with it Ticks, you can make it your own. LOL ;) It can be your secret recipe for the rest of the family. :p

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We can still get our jarred salsa for under $2. Has anyone added up hte cost of making your own? I'm sure the quality is better, regardless.

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My personal opinion on store bought salsa..........YUK! I wouldn't eat salsa before having it fresh so no need to go back :lol: