Quitting my job

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I read a good article in Countryside about how small farms need to diversify if they want to stay afloat. Also to stop using time worn methods of farming and try some different methods.

If you always do what you've always done, you will always have what you always had.... :)

If you listen to those big farmers they will be the first to tell you that they barely break even on farming and that there is no money to be made in farming anymore.

I think if one is serious about it, they can do some real good research and find a market for items that are needed in their area. Research breeds that are the most hardy for your climate, what does well on the type of pasture or browse you have, the vegetables that are not currently in surplus and if they will grow in your soil. Stack multiple streams of income from animals, produce, and other sources to diversify your income.

I read a story about an older gentleman who was looking to make a little money off an acre of ground he had. Tried growing vegetables and made a small profit. Did a little research and sent out some feelers and decided to grow Zinnias....made $5000 off that acre. Very little work involved, and Zinnias will grow anywhere! He found that the local florists would pay for his flowers, as they were fresher. He found a niche market and filled it.

With enough imagination and determination, one can do well on small farming. They show the folks who are doing the best are the ones with their own roadside market with a combination of attractions....crafts, local produce, pumpkins, Christmas trees and wreaths in season, petting zoos, demonstrations from local artisans, etc.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We have quite a few small family farms here in Massachusetts, and up in Maine, that are profitable. It's a niche market, if you've got something people want, you can make it. Right now with the local movement people want locally produced meats, veggies, herbs, etc. I'm not saying you'd get rich, but you could definitely make money at it. How much would depend on hard work and luck, I think.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The small farms I know of that are doing okay (or well), are that way because of skilled tireless marketing, merchandising and market research, not because of the farming part of the farm, you know?

The type of person who could sell ice to eskimos, or who enjoys finding or (correctly!) deducing some obscure local need and they're the kind of person who guesses right about whether the need will still exist three or ten years from now... *they* have some chance (not guarantee) of success. It involves a whole lot of work in addition to the simple growing of one's crops, however.

I do not see great prospects these days unless a person has that knack and enjoys that type of work, though.

Pat

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed - Did you read the Omnivore's Dilemma? It was so eye-opening to me, and made me see that part of the problem with farming is the government. They subsidize the big guys so that they can only grow one or 2 crops, which doesn't do anybody any good, and they throw all these rules and regulations at the small farmers so that they can't do what they need to to get by.

I think that, ultimately, either Mike or I would have to keep a job, and the other would be in charge of farming. The idea would be that we'd be saving money by growing/raising our own stuff. I don't know that we'd be able to make enough off of it to replace a salary.

I do know that local food is slow to take off around here. Seems pretty weird that, in a county that is at least 50% rural, people are still buying most of their food from Wal-Mart. There's the idea that buying from farmers is too expensive, but it's really not. Something that really stuck with me from Omnivore's Dilemma was that people will willingly buy a more expensive car, TV, computer, etc, because the quality is better than the cheapest model. But when it comes to food, something that we need to LIVE, people routinely buy the cheapest thing they can find. Weird.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
A good thing to do would be to add up all your current income from your job, then take away expenses such as having two cars, gas to get to work, taxes, etc, it should be easy to see how much of a difference it would make to stay at home. Then a decision on whether the loss of money can be made up by expanding your labor at home.

One of the things that women frequently don't take into account is the effect on their future of a change in marriage status. Too many times I have seen women who happily did not work outside of the house then found that their spouse had a bad case of mid-life crisis and ran off with a younger woman. If they didn't have younger children, a lot of states don't require alimoney any more so these women found that they had to enter the work force at age 50 with any experience in 30 years. It could be done, but was very traumatic. A lot of these women did not go after their spouse with a sharke-like attorney and lost their share in their husband's pensions or 401ks. Meant working for them for many years into what would be normal retirement.

Maybe finding a part-time job is not such a bad resource- for women like having a little money in their own account.

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i to am thinking of quiting my job but my goal is more retirment and farming as a hobby. i only have about an acre and want to be self sufficient other than utilites. i rember my mothers stories of the great deprission they had very little but wer never hungry. i think that is my goal nothing great just survial and enjoying life

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i think that is my goal nothing great just survial and enjoying life

*** if you can do that, it is great! :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The more you can do for yourself the better off you are & in the long run you keep more of what little money you have n your own pocket. Which is goal for all of us to reach.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Good luck!! You will do fine, just trust in God and work hard and you'll be amazed at how well you do!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello! I have a little bit of experience here!

My dad as diagnosed with a brain tumour about 11 years ago, terminal, but didn't die for some demented reason, anyway at that time he was laid off from his job at a major computer company, and decided to go into business for himself as a contract computer consultant/programmer. He still works that job, and rents an appartment in the city to save on transportation costs. My mother was a registered dental asisstant for many years, as well as stable hand at several large equestrian centres for about 6 years, training, mucking, feeding, turning out, etc. We moved to the farm, and now my mum is a SAHM of a nearly 20 year old (me) and my 13 year old brother, she breeds toy poodles, and poodle crosses for a living, and will be signing up with the local dog club to start showing our miniature labradoodle stud in the spring. We currently pasture board horses, and have the chickens who, as soon as they will be laying, will also pay for themselves. We have A LOT of debt, i won't lie... because of the nature of my dad's work, in which pay is not consistant, the debt is mostly credit card, and mortgage, but the credit cards will be paid off as soon as these next 2 litters of poodles are sold.

We're hoping by 2010 to have the farm paying for itself in terms of boarders, dogs, and produce/products made from the farm. Hopefully by my dad's 60th birthday he can retire, maybe 65 and spend his time here full-time. We've been eyeing a little storefront in our closest town, Springbrook, it's freaking adorable... all brick, victorian, with a large window and little red door which is empty, and since we'll be starting to make custom and basic chicken tractors for sale in the spring, as well as other home made products to sell at the farmers market, we're hoping to open a hobby farming shop there. We're just checking on leasing on the building :) We'll be opening the shop out of our barn for the time being, and hopefully making it a full-time career.

I know for sure my mum loves every minute of working on the farm, though she will be looking for a part-time job when I start university.