R Preppers the New Terrorists? FBI 2 watch Military Surplus Stores..

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok please dont shoot me for posting this.. LOL

I just thought others might want to read about it. I dont know if it is real or not. I will let you decide. Please dont talk to political, dont want it to get locked. Thank you.. Sorry if this topic has already been talked about. I couldnt find one.

Here is the link to story I first saw.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/...-military-surplus-stores-to-spy-on-customers/

In case that story disapears. This is where they got their info.
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2011/08/10/7769/

All I will say about this is it should be our own business if we want to stalk up on MREs if we want to.. Or buy night vision to see those pesky preditors trying to eat our chickens.. I think what is being done is just stupid..

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nothing much surprizes me anymore, but my favorite part is that it's okay to use "day time" flashlights but not "night time" flashlights. :lol: :rolleyes:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think it is possible that those things for sale ARE what terrorists want to buy. While I don't want a government with too much power, I also want it to be able to catch terrorists before they strike. There are not too many things on that list that I want to buy and I consider myself somewhat concerned with preparing for .....whatever. I think they are looking for patterns of behavior. If you are not a terrorist, then what are they going to catch you at? owning night vision goggles?

This is similar to not wanting to make your own soap because you don't want to buy lye because some people use lye to make methamphetamines. They keep track of who buys lye in some states, I believe including my own. I have bought lye to make soap and I'm not too worried that they have my name on some list, because I don't make meth! So I have nothing to fear. In my opinion this might be similar to that....you should only fear this if you are a terrorist. We still have lawyers and our judicial system, so if you are not a terrorist you cannot be imprisoned as one for owning night vision goggles.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Savingdogs, maybe you don't mind having your name on a government "watch list", but there are a lot of those that do. Why should anyone have their name placed on some government list, simply because they purchased a legally owned product. Sure, I have nothing to hide. But now we have lists for people that buy "night flashlights" (whatever the heck they are?), who express the same ideas of freedom that our founders did, who have a love for our Constitution, who are Christian and express a belief in the Bible, who pay in cash, who buy weather proof match holders, who have lost fingers to accidents, who have a Ron Paul bumper sticker, if you shave off a beard and visit the same store again (no, I'm not making that one up). Where does it stop? At what point does the Government just say, "You know, none of our citizens can be trusted". It seems that it's getting pretty close to that point now.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
K0xxx, you beat me to the punch...I was going to reference another one of your posts, about someone using a grow-light who had their house broken into by the police on suspicion of growing pot. The people were hand-cuffed for hours & had substantial damage to their property while the police looked for "evidence."

Why should I be harassed because I buy things from a military surplus store, or even some place like Emergency Essentials...? I have to stand by while "authorities" ransack my place because I bought something they consider "suspicious"...? No, I'm not doing anything illegal, but now I have to prove my innocence, right? :somad

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I actually thought this was an interesting question is why I resurrected it from page 3. :hide I AGREE that I don't want the government putting me on lists, but I understand why they may want to make some. I'm sure police make lists of suspects as well, but I UNDERSTAND that the problem with methamphetamines in my area is horrible, and devastating to the lives of young people, and I do want meth use stopped. I don't mind that Sudafed is now sold behind the pharmacy counter in our state and that lye is regulated....the incidence of meth labs has gone DOWN in my area when they instituted these changes in my state and the state next door. I understand the reason for them making this particular list was my point. People who need sudafed and lye can still buy it, but not as freely.

Do I think the government should make watch lists for everything to do with being SS? Of course not. But I did think this warranted discussion instead of being on page 3.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I actually thought this was an interesting question is why I resurrected it from page 3. :hide

... But I did think this warranted discussion instead of being on page 3.
Oooh, SD, you're such an instigator! :lol:

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I find it interesting that this is specifically for Colorado. I can understand their reasoning, although I don't necessarily agree with it.
I assume their reasoning is:
1. We have such a large multi-ethnic population
2. We do have alot of these types of stores
3. We have had at least one "terrorist suspect" arrested that was from Colorado
4. We are a liberal state

Personally, I don't agree with these reasons. It's profiling at it's simplest and while stereotypes are there because at one time or another most of them were true (not all, good god don't start harassing me about that) this should have been implemented on a national level, not just here.

In terms of being on a government watch list, I'd be kinda surprised if we weren't already on one just because I've hauled home horse poop by the car bucketful :) and we raise chickens for eating and recreation. I also plan on doing more stuff that will probably get us on those lists in the future :) Building a green house, putting in a large garden, adding geese and turkeys to the chickens and ducks, converting some of our pipes to a greywater watering system for trees. We already have rainbarrels of sorts which is illegal here in Colorado.

I do agree with Savingsdog that some actions do merit this. Buying large quantities of lye when you aren't someone who has a legitimate reason for it. Putting sudafed behind the counter (although I'm firmly of the mind that all synthetics belong there and they should have the homeopathic natural stuff in front of the counter :D ) etc. It's just like with having guns. by all means own guns. But does the regular homeowner really need AK47s? or machine guns? or really anything beyond a hunting rifle, a shotgun and a pistol? After all, you only have two hands, so theoretically you can only hold and fire two guns at one time :) but, thats another topic :)

So, while I'm against how they are going about this, I could care less about the fact that they are doing it. If we don't like what the government is doing, then we need to put ourselves in a position to change it.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
In terms of being on a government watch list, I'd be kinda surprised if we weren't already on one just because I've hauled home horse poop by the car bucketful :) and we raise chickens for eating and recreation. I also plan on doing more stuff that will probably get us on those lists in the future :) Building a green house, putting in a large garden, adding geese and turkeys to the chickens and ducks, converting some of our pipes to a greywater watering system for trees. We already have rainbarrels of sorts which is illegal here in Colorado.
DH & I were talking a few days ago that we were probably on a list somewhere already due to our "anti-government" activities such as raising chickens & having a garden (not to mention being a member of SSF). :rolleyes: :duc