rabbit dilemna

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Brutal? I bet those rabbits were raised in better conditions, and you can process them more humanely, than any kind of meat they eat from the grocery store. Not brutal at all.

That said, I would not tell the sellers your plans. Unless they ask. I take a "don't volunteer but don't lie" position when it comes to getting someone else's pet when I intend to eat it. A calm "oh, yes, I've wanted two rabbits for a while now..." will suffice so you don't get the same reaction from the sellers that your friends are giving you.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am calling the seller today to see if it is still available. I don't plan to say much about the rabbits, but that's a good one, been wanting some rabbits. I guess their poop would be good for the garden but so would rabbits that can be used for something. How would you prepare a one and two year old rabbit? Does their age change the way they are cooked? We shot a wild rabbit that was wrecking my salad garden and fed it to the chickens last year and they loved it. The seller said they had about a thousand in the project and are selling for 225 but I needed to do a little research to make sure it was a good enough price. Since they got some kittens their kids won't take care of the rabbits.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Butcher them and boil/simmer them until tender. Pick the meat off the bone and use to make "chicken" salad, rabbit and dumplings (save the broth), rabbit tacos, King Ranch cassarole (yummy), or rabbit chili. Or you could cut the meat off the bone and grind it up.....make bunny burgers, sausage "filet de bunny mignon" wrapped in bacon...... This almost makes me want to raise rabbits again.......

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Adult rabbit is like any older animal meat. Just cook it lower and slower than you might cook a younger one. Anything in the crock pot would be great. The PP who mentioned simmering is right on, too. I think I'd just avoid baking it like a roast, or straight out boiling it - anything slower than either of those would be great. The first rabbit I cooked was an adult male of unknown age - I simmered him in beef broth with carrots and potatoes. Oh, YUM!

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok what's king ranch casserole? Looking for advice on the killing, cleaning and more recipes to make me a rabbit lover. Also need to know if you need to let them rest like a chicken for a few days to relax. Thanks everyone, seems like I can always get some help on this board.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'd kill them and invite your friend over for "chicken" soup or casserole and then tell them it's rabbit about mid meal. But then, that's me.... :D Mean old "Lady" someday you will get yours! why go out of your way to be mean?Brutal? What do they think rabbits are for exactly? I wouldn't waste that good meat on the dogs, should be really good eatin'.
I would eat them too but I wouldn't go out of my way to rub their nose in it! Some people love their pets.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
ok what's king ranch casserole? Looking for advice on the killing, cleaning and more recipes to make me a rabbit lover. Also need to know if you need to let them rest like a chicken for a few days to relax. Thanks everyone, seems like I can always get some help on this board.
Yep it helps with any meat animal That is why cattle and deer are hung. first they get stiff and when they relax then you eat or freeze.~gd

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
King ranch cassarole:
Boil rabbit or chicken, pick meat off the bones. Reserve the broth.
Chop onion, celery and bell pepper, saute in skillet until tender.
Slice velveeta cheese or grate your favorite cheddar.
Package of corn tortillas. Get a big package, fry the extras for chips.

Grease the bottom of a cassarole dish. Lay corn tortillas in the bottom. Put a layer of meat, then layer of the onion/bell pepper/celery, place sliced velveeta on top. Then layer with tortillas, meat vegetables and cheese. Continue until all meat and vegetables are gone. Pour a little of the broth over the cassarole, just enough to keep it from drying out when baking. If you pour a lot in there, it will be soupy. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Top with cheese and put back in oven until melted.

Sorry I can't give you exact measurements, I cook by the "throw it in there" method. :lol:

If you like hot and spicy, use sliced jalepenos instead of celery.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
its not brutal at all, the down side with older rabbits is the meat will be tougher, youl have to cook low and slow or youll not enjoy it...
for buns that age i suggest turning them into sew via a crockpot.

in terms of butchering rabbits its actually in my opinion one of the easiest because you skin them.
theres a bunch of movies on youtube on "processing rabbits"

I find them MUCH easier than doing chicken ect...