Rabbit Hutch Project

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey when did you get that great Avitar???
Opa gave it to me...well, he showed me a site to steal one! He is a member of BYC and is causing quite a stir with the ladies over there right now! :p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I have 3 rabbits...relatively new for me. They mostly poop in corners. I'm trying to get them to poop in the poop tray that I have in the hutch but apparantly they prefer to do the exact opposite of what I planned. :rolleyes:

My hutch, a freebie, has part wood floor and part wire mesh. Of course they poop on the wood floor, they mostly use the poop tray now for peeing but still go on the wood floor sometimes.

What I have learned is that no matter what you build they will do what they want to do. Just be prepared to deal with that eventuality...has anyone ever put vinyl on the floor? Will they just chew through it? I have vinyl on the bottom of my coop...would it work with the rabbits? Hmmmmm

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I have 3 rabbits...relatively new for me. They mostly poop in corners. I'm trying to get them to poop in the poop tray that I have in the hutch but apparantly they prefer to do the exact opposite of what I planned. :rolleyes:

My hutch, a freebie, has part wood floor and part wire mesh. Of course they poop on the wood floor, they mostly use the poop tray now for peeing but still go on the wood floor sometimes.

What I have learned is that no matter what you build they will do what they want to do. Just be prepared to deal with that eventuality...has anyone ever put vinyl on the floor? Will they just chew through it? I have vinyl on the bottom of my coop...would it work with the rabbits? Hmmmmm
Vinyl on the coop floor?? Explain what that does please!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Lori- I don't know about everyone else but I have vinyl on one of my coop floors because it makes it easier to clean. My other coop is just wood because it is so big I could refloor my house cheaper. LOL The little coop is the hardest to clean anyway so I am really glad I have that vinyl there.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They will chew through it...someone I knew tried this for easy clean ups and such.

Off subject, but....

Handy tip: I'll tell you what we did in our cages that helped decrease waste when you feed hay. We formed little hay nets in a "U" shape out of chicken wire, and wired them up in one corner of the cage. We would fill these with hay and the rabbits would get some exercise for their haunches (good for market rabbits)by standing up to pull it out for nibbles, and they didn't pee and poop on any hay they didn't eat right away.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have vinyl in my coop but I would be afraid to use it for a bunny. I think they would definitely eat it. It seems as if they need large sticks. I think Farmer chick with the fang bunny suggested it. :p Do they make chew toys for rabbits?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes they make chew toys for rabbits but they are expensive definitely to buy.

I just didn't use sticks that were splintery type. I put in small fat stout twigs. they would chew for boredom and to keep the teeth short. they need to chew cause if they don't those teeth grow forever and ever. Kinda like a horse keeps his feet trimmed by moving all day in pastures in the wild, a bunny must chew to contain those ever growing teeth.

tanks they don't chew constantly at all. your hutch will be safe. they aren't going to eat it like a beaver..HA HA HA---I had my wooden cage for like 13 years or so and they didn't do much damage to it at all in the end.

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you have a choice they prefer sticks from fruit trees as those carry a fruity taste but, any good quality, nontoxic stick will work.

I'm with FarmerChick in having had rabbits in the same hutch for years with minimal damage.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Perfect, I will be pruning the orchard in about a month. I will save a big pile for our future bunny.