Rabbit Hutch Project

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Tanks, another tidbit of info about rabbits, rather gross but needed info none the less.
Rabbits do need a solid wood, metal or whatever place for one major reason. They recycle their own poo. Especially if you feed them fresh grass, greens etc. Due to their digestive systems they eat the first poo to get the nurtients out. Similar to a cow chewing a cud. That is one reason I place a solid piece of wood inside my cages. As for the wire and their feet. I don't know that it cause a foot problem but I personaly would not want to be standing on wire constantly, so I figured the rabbits could use some relief plus as mentioned above, they need a solid place so the first poo won't fall thru. And to answer this question before it is even ask. The first poo does not look like the little rabbit pills you see laying around. It is larger and more gooey.
Now you know more about rabbits than you ever wanted to know. LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok wait, they poop gooey eat it and then poop those little round balls? Or do you mean when they are young the have gooey poop? I really don't think I will stand around watching this process. It can eat whatever floats it's boat. I guess, yuck!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so we finished the hutch this morning. There are still a couple little things to do. The ramp down and I intend to build a raised wire area. For food bowl etc. I am very excited, I hope to find a little bunny soon. If not I think I migh stick a broody hen and a new clutch of eggs in there.:D
333_img_0171_2.jpg

333_img_0172_3.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I want one, I want one.

I love little wooden cages and wooden small buildings etc. I don't know why...LOL

great job!

so much can go in there...your hen is a good idea for now if needed!!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you! I am very happy with how it turned out. I love the wood as well. Now I'm thinking he needs to build a garden building to match. lol:D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea think big Tanks...;)

the more compliments he gets the more they build! :p

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Very nice.

Is that half inch hardware cloth? If it is you better get your fence. Domestic dogs and coyotes can tear through hardware cloth.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
GORGEOUS!!! That is going to look so pretty sitting in your yard!!!
I vote for a broody hen and eggs!!!