rag quilts and my treadle, rotary cutting

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone used their treadle sewing machine to make a rag quilt?

All the websites with instructions say to use a walking foot so the layers don't bunch up, but I don't have one. I've just got a basic regular old foot.

I'm going to try to whip up some fast baby quilts and thought I could try making rag quilts. I'm going to Joann's to get rotary cutting tools (50% off!) this week. Does anyone have any recommendations on rotary tools? I was just going to get the Fiskars set, since I'm a beginner and won't be doing anything super fancy.

Nostahl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi there!, I am a treadle sewing machine user as well, I have a wheeler n wilson number 9

its from mid to late 1800's

no walking foot on it yet i have done rag quilts without a problem.

what machine do you have. any pictures?

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All the rotary cutting tools are very sharp! I've seen a very experienced quilter with stitches in her hand, so be careful to always retract the blade when not in use. They are amazing timesavers, well worth the extra caution.

I didn't make rag quilts with my treadle but I made denim vests that I lined with sherpa. If that worked, the rag quilts should be okay.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Bought a Fiskars set 2 years ago and love it! I don't own a treadle, so can't help you there.....

*needs to hit JoAnns this week!* ;)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't (unfortunately) have a treadle machine, just yer basic plain modern White-brand one... however, I do a fair bit of quilting and do not even own a walking foot.

My suggestion is that you make sure the quilt sandwich is very well pinned, use as little tension (pressure, whatever you call the adjustment) as possible on your presser foot, and then just go slowly, with your fingers and the pins keeping things aligned and smoothed.

For obnoxious fabrics I sometimes also drop the feed dogs, as if I were freehand quilting, and just guide carefully by hand.

So I bet that if you practice on scraps -- that is, scraps made up into a comparable quilt sandwich -- you will figure out a way that gets it to work just fine on your machine :)

I am not a giant fan of rotary cutters, in the hands of someone like me they just allow me to make more mistakes all at once and faster :p, but if you are more careful and/or if you have a GIANT amount of pieces to cut, then they are certainly faster than doing it with scissors. I will admit they are better than scissors for obnoxious fabrics (very slippy or stretchy or filmy ones).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am like Pat, I make more mistakes with the wheel than good. But I am a sewer not a quilter by nature. The only thing I recommend is don't forget that pad thing that goes underneath the fabric. :hide

g

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hit my treadle was killed in the tornado. It was really pretty too. It was a 1905 Singer with all the attachments. I'm so jealous of you guys who still have one. I did however save my 1924 knee-bar electric. I love old sewing machines, especially ones that are worn with use. Okay enough hijacking. :hide

fl_deb

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
As far as cutting goes the best investment you can make is into an approx $20 electric cutters from Wal-mart, sold in the hardware/paint area of store, ummm Black and decker?? I think orange in color comes in packaging that is clear.

they cut through anything including leathers and fine cloth as well, and it is cordless! comes with the charger though
saves my back!

Edited because I can't spell or proofread worth a dang!