What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW!!!!! 125?? that's a lotta canning 🤣🤣
It's crazy talk... After setting out rows of peppers (haven't started yet) I wont have room for melons or squash.

I'm thinking about plowing up a new melon and squash patch.

Actually we have nothing to do over winter so we over plan for spring :lol:

"Sing loud for the sunshine. Pray hard for the rain."

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you plant corn? You could let the vining squash run with that. Works well but makes it tricky when harvesting the corn 🤣

Used to have some of your kids harvest from your garden -- still so? I'd sure want that with the tomatoes you'll have 😳🤣🤣🤣

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
With a garden, now I have to add watering & weeding to my chore list 🥴 I want to look into a timer device for watering 🤔
This may sound odd, but if you have the space set aside a section that you water half as much, if at all. From the moment the seeds go in the ground. I usually gave seeds in my dry garden plenty of water when I planted them, then nothing. Thrive or die. This was in an area with 12 inches of precipitation per year and they did great under heavy mulch.

If you can get away with watering once a month (which I suspect you can) that's one chore off your plate.

Tomatoes and squash did well. Sorghum, oats and gatlic thrived. Watermelons loved it. Heavy mulch is not necessary if you water (or get rain) once a month.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got a delivery of 4 yards of 3 way soil from the local bark soil company. I needed to fill my beds, which sunk tremendously this winter, as expected. I placed sticks, twigs, branches, cardboard, etc on the base of them all, and then topped with purchased dirt. Now that its settled, I'll only need to add homemade compost and some manure every year.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
do you get periods of too much rain? it might not like being overwatered...

It doesn't like being cold and soaked, I can tell you that. Winter here when it freezes is what many plants can't tolerate because even in the pots they get so waterlogged from the drizzle