Rainy days....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
...are God's way of making us slow down and just sit for awhile! It has been a steady, cold rain all day...the first true rain of fall for us. One of those days you just have to stop the frantic harvest, pile up under a blanket, snuggle down and read a book.

I have been working several days with no rest (on call and Death never sleeps) and my boss called and said, "Take the day off, get some rest. Actually, you have the next 3 days off!" Hallelujah! Wouldn't you know it, it is supposed to rain all week, so at least some of the harvesting will have to be done in the cold rain.

BUT, today? This day is for not making the bed, sitting around in a warm robe, watching a good chick flick or reading a book. This evening my boys and I will play some cards or Scrabble, and eat some popcorn. I simply LOVE days like this and I find I need them as much as the gloriously clear and beautiful days. Sort of like putting one's mind and body on the recharger for awhile. Tomorrow I'll be zippy again and be able to start all over. :)

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's been rainging here since yesterday and I guess I must have been really tired from doing so much from working outside to canning and cleaning inside, that I didn't crawl out of bed this morning until 9:20 a.m.

Normally I am up at 5:30 to 6:00 a.m. but this morning really surprised me. :) I am now rested though. Can't complain about being tired now/ :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice posts, I wanted to get in bed and snuggle under a blanket also...LOL

but I never have down days like that. I work every single day. I might "rest" in the AM and slack off.....then work hard in the PM....or vica versa. 24/7 with my huge amt. of animals and it just falls where I can never take a FULL day off.........if I camp I can. FIL and MIL will feed and we take a few days, now that is my heaven!

I know the days you are talking about. A day to relax, reflect, slow down, enjoy, yawn, scratch, bake if wanted, etc......when I started my real farm I lost those days..LOL...but it is fine. I love it anyway.

Rainy here also. Had monsoon type rain and things are flooding in the areas and can't do much outside but I still do get a bunch done. Tony and I are heading over to the hay barns and unload a ton of hog feed from the dump trailer. So off I go....see ya'll in a while. :)

Everyone enjoy their rainy days!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We've had monsoon-like rain all day. The chickens have been out in it and don't seem a bit phased.

The day has been really great, as my oldest boy has baked bread, canned tomatoes, cleaned house, and even baked a cake right around his rainy-day mom. It made my snuggling so much better to smell fresh baked goods and to know someone is keeping up the house, even if I'm not! :p

I told him that I will return to supermom status on the morrow, but, for now, the down comforter is calling my name! ;)

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
It made my snuggling so much better to smell fresh baked goods and to know someone is keeping up the house, even if I'm not! :p

I told him that I will return to supermom status on the morrow, but, for now, the down comforter is calling my name! ;)
awwww! Glad you're getting a day of rest in! mine was last Sat or well, now I forget what day it was. It was a down pour kinda day... and well I just did bare minimums that day... and sat on the computer the rest of the day.

But see when I do that, I feel guilty.. and then do extra work for the next few days.. and well, now I'm exhausted! Tomorrow afternoon it's supposed to rain, so I'll use that as an excuse to take a break! My allergies are about knocking me out, and being out in 'em all day, well no medicine helps! I'll be organizing the school room and work on lesson plans.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That sounds wonderful!! Enjoy it--you have worked so hard this week! I love it when it decides to rain and some work I had to get done outside gets postponed :)

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lordy Lordy we have gotten some rain today, and the weather man said it's not over yet. I hope when I look out side tomorrow that my garden hasn't floated into the woods. If it doesn't stop soon we are going to have to build an Ark.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
still misty rainy here...but we sure need it. now down to work with animals at the barn...ugh...I hate how dirty I get in the soggy mess out there...LOL

but gotta go do it, at least they appreicate the food..HA HA

I am ready for SUN---come on SUN :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm abdicating the fair this week...just too cold and wet to enjoy. I usually go the demo derby, but this rain is making me wish the wood stove was set up in the house already....I want my fire!

I called one of my long lost friends today and talked for hours...man, does that feel good! Good to reconnect, good to find out we have more in common now than we did "in the middle years," those years between high school and now. Good to know someone still thinks about you and remembers the good things about you that they still like.

Caught up on a lot of phone calls that I've been putting off until I "got time". That also felt good....cross those off the list of my life, breath a sigh of relief.

Rainy days are good for so much! I think I'll make a big pot of chicken soup, using my own tastey birds, and let the smell permeate the house. Hot chicken soup, homemade bread, a warm house on a cold, rainy day. Mmmmmmmmmmm! Let the rain come on down!

I'll slip into something less comfortable later and trudge on over to the henhouse. Commune with the ladies, gather eggs, pat the toasty warm dogs in their beds of straw and go back to the sanctuary of my good home. Let the boys steam off to the fair, and I will revel in the quiet, peaceful dream of my rainy, rainy day.... :caf :love

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Let the boys steam off to the fair, and I will revel in the quiet, peaceful dream of my rainy, rainy day.

*****that is key to a relaxing day...being alone in the house....AHH, I love it.. :)