Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Darn...I thought I was going to figure out a way to use olives. Tease! :lol: That's a pretty cute story though :D

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would like to get some uncured olives and try lacto-fermenting them like they do on the island of Ibiza, where my mother used to live. They just take the ripe olives from the trees, put them in wooden boxes and press on them just enough to crack the fruit, and then cover them with sea water. I thought they were wonderful! They had a chewier texture than regular ripe olives, and a salty, slightly bitter taste. Hard to describe, but even the so called 'brine cured' olives I've tasted here didn't taste right; maybe because all the good probiotics were destroyed when they were bottled for sale?

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FramingFowl - "Galette is a general term used in the French cuisine to designate various types of flat, round or freeform crusty cakes... mostly associated with the regions of Normandy and Brittany, where it replaced at times bread as basic food. It is frequently garnished with egg, meat, fish, cheese, cut vegetables, apple slices, berries, or similar ingredients."
Galette sounds delish indeed. Perhaps there shall be an olive pie after all.
BriteSea - Your mother lived in Ibiza?! Wowza. That is cool. The olives sound yummy and different.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rathbone - Women of a Certain Age

Interestingly as I age, something that I had never thought of before is happening. I am getting older, and apparently some people think wiser. Recently I have on several occasions had younger women come to me, close the door, pull up a chair and then appeal for help in some area of their lives. I am a youth counselor so yes, I am a good listener but this falls into a different category. I am flattered by it and I take it very seriously. I want to give sound advice. And do I feel capable? Yes, I believe I do.
At the same time, it addresses something deep inside me. I too am looking for guidance. Where are my mentors in life? There are so very, very few voices I would listen to; so very few people I think actually have a clue as to what life is really about and would give me sound advice. Sadly, my mother is not one of those voices. I would that she were but that is not our relationship.
Recently I have "met" complete strangers whose thoughts I agree with. Strange isn't it that "online friends" could be more reliable than those we know in real life? And yet I find their voices sound and valid.
I picture the hard times of life as a body of water that must be waded through. And in my mind's eye, I see a line of women wading deeper and deeper into water, and I like the thought that just ahead of me is another woman, and she turns and sees that I am losing my footing, and she casts out a line of rope to me. I catch it and feel her strength at the other end of the rope, stabilizing me. I know that everything will be all right. I find my footing, I continue forward.
Sometimes, the words that you send out to me over the internet, the words that take visible form on the screen in front of me are just that lifeline to help me find my footing. So thank you. Nice to know you are there.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I would like to get some uncured olives and try lacto-fermenting them like they do on the island of Ibiza, where my mother used to live. They just take the ripe olives from the trees, put them in wooden boxes and press on them just enough to crack the fruit, and then cover them with sea water. I thought they were wonderful! They had a chewier texture than regular ripe olives, and a salty, slightly bitter taste. Hard to describe, but even the so called 'brine cured' olives I've tasted here didn't taste right; maybe because all the good probiotics were destroyed when they were bottled for sale?
that sounds so tastey. I love olives.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
How about using tortillas for the crust, add some refried beans, cheese and olives, and whatever, and call it a pie? ;) Could be yummy.

"I picture the hard times of life as a body of water that must be waded through. And in my mind's eye, I see a line of women wading deeper and deeper into water, and I like the thought that just ahead of me is another woman, and she turns and sees that I am losing my footing, and she casts out a line of rope to me. I catch it and feel her strength at the other end of the rope, stabilizing me. I know that everything will be all right. I find my footing, I continue forward. "
Very nicely said. I'm sure you have passed a rope to many people already.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is a proven fact that women and men think differently; it's only natural that we would gravitate toward others of the same sex. Native Americans had men's and women's lodges, Jewish men and women tended to segregate themselves. Even when we have friends over, how many times has it ended up with the men speaking to each other and the women to each other?

But I really love your image of the women helping each other in the water.
3802_nudelake.jpg