Raw milk people check out this article re: Listeria

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
Soil is poop and dead plants and dead animals... Animals and bugs walk through the world, pooping on everything. It helps it grow. They are killed and bleed and spill their guts on the soil and in gardens.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's funny because it's true...and because I've never heard it put quite that way before, but still true.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i've watched mommies change their babies ON THE TABLE at fast food restaurants, then pick up their burgers and eat like nothing happened.

*pukes*

so i'm more worried about being out in the general population than anything in this article.

that being said... what can you do with store food other than wash it, practice good kitchen cleanliness, and make sure everything is cooked well?

not worried about our food, or our milk, at all.

but yep you can get your milk tested - so i've heard.

:)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well my goats have not been tested for anything recently. Before I bought them, they had been tested, and before I bought the buck, he had been tested, and now the newest little buck I'm looking as has been tested, so I don't see why I need to test my goats again and again, but perhaps it is for something other than CAE and CL and Brucelossis?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I fertilize my garden with poopy duck water. I'm not dead yet :D

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
abifae said:
I wash my hands after I poop or change cat litter. I at least give 'em a good rinse after I touch raw meat, and consider they get scrubbed and sudsy enough when I clean the kitchen after cooking (hot water and soap, and that's more concern for sticky counters and bugs than germs).

Other than that, I drink from the milk jug, lick spoons while I cook (and use the same spoon to scoop condiments into food), and all in all am extraordinarily germ casual. *laughs*

I don't think you have to worry.

I'm MUCH more concerned about foods from the grocery than from the farmer's market, but let's face it.

Soil is poop and dead plants and dead animals... Animals and bugs walk through the world, pooping on everything. It helps it grow. They are killed and bleed and spill their guts on the soil and in gardens. We evolved eating all these feces and germs and bacteria and parasites. It's FINE. The only thing making it so bad are: processed foods that kill the good bugs, the creation of super bugs through too much cleanliness and too many antibiotics, and over population.

So that's my take on it.
Absolutely. Give your immune system something to do or it will turn on you. I practice " excessive hygiene" for company though, when I don't know if they are properly exposed or not. You do have a way with words that makes me smile.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
I wash my hands after I poop or change cat litter. I at least give 'em a good rinse after I touch raw meat, and consider they get scrubbed and sudsy enough when I clean the kitchen after cooking (hot water and soap, and that's more concern for sticky counters and bugs than germs).

Other than that, I drink from the milk jug, lick spoons while I cook (and use the same spoon to scoop condiments into food), and all in all am extraordinarily germ casual. *laughs*

I don't think you have to worry.

I'm MUCH more concerned about foods from the grocery than from the farmer's market, but let's face it.

Soil is poop and dead plants and dead animals... Animals and bugs walk through the world, pooping on everything. It helps it grow. They are killed and bleed and spill their guts on the soil and in gardens. We evolved eating all these feces and germs and bacteria and parasites. It's FINE. The only thing making it so bad are: processed foods that kill the good bugs, the creation of super bugs through too much cleanliness and too many antibiotics, and over population.

So that's my take on it.
Sounds rather appetizing, dontcha think? :gig Yet so true!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
:D

I may not have OFG's talent, but glad I could get my point across!