Razors???

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My solutions to razor expense- it's multiple choice! There's more than one right answer!

1) Dollar Shave Club . You can get 120 double bladed cartridges, plus the stick, for $30, postage paid.

2) Bic. They make a bunch of 3 and 4 bladed very, very nice disposable razors. [urlhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/10-BIC-COMFORT-3-ADVANCED-RAZOR-COUPONS-1-00-OFF-EXP-12-31-12-/120830134645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c22098975]Get on eBay and buy some coupons.[/url] Then go to[urlhttp://www.soap.com/p/bic-comfort-3-advance-for-men-sensitive-skin-4-ct-32185] soap.com[/url] (yes, soap.com takes coupons) or your local supercenter and, with the coupons, you'll get the price down to about $1 per handle. You can also watch for sales and wait for the right moment to buy, but that takes a bit more legwork. If you treat these right- rinse, dry, and lubricate after each use- they will last someone like my heavily bearded husband about two weeks. (The Bic razors marketed toward women tend to be a bit cheaper.)

3) [urlhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Gillette-Patent-New-all-chrome-plated-brass-Weishi-double-edge-razor-Heavyweight-/330656269776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfca645d0]Safety razor[/url] . On ebay or an antique store, these sell for $10-$15. Blades for these are very inexpensive- you can buy big lots online, or you can get a package of 10 at Family Dollar for $1.

4) Straight razor. [urlhttp://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=straight+razor]These have come way, way down in price since I last looked.[/url]

5) Homemade sugaring.

6) Threading (only works for eyebrows and other facial hair.)

7) Soap, mug and brush for face, aloe vera gel for body, no more shaving cream or gel.

We did all of the above. We decided to migrate and learn over time, rather than switch everything up overnight. About six months ago, I bought the $30 from Dollar Shave Club for DH until I could find good deals online for a safety razor. I got myself 40 Bic Soleil razors when the stars aligned just right and a) they were on sale $5 for a package of 4; b) I had a bunch of "$3 off a 4 pack" coupons; c) I transferred an rx, so I had gotten a $20 store gift card. All I had to pay was $1.20 in tax. I use these for my underarms, and while I taught myself how to sugar and thread. I found a good deal ($8, plus $1 for blades) on a safety razor at a local antique mall a couple of months ago, and I'm watching straight razors and strops on eBay as we speak. I figured this way, we have a good supply of what we are used to using while we learn new (well, old :lol:) methods.

So far I've spent about $80, including the Dollar Shave Club order, a badger brush, soapmaking supplies, sugaring supplies, the safety razor and blades. We if I spent another $10 on safety razor blades we'd have enough stuff on hand to last us 5-10 years. We are both getting so good at using the safety razor and sugaring that we'll probably end up giving away most of the Dollar Shave Club/Bic stash, and then we'll have to spend only a few bucks a year on safety razor blades, sugaring supplies, and soapmaking supplies. We'll be able to drive this cost down even further if I find a good deal on a straight razor and strop.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You make an invert sugar syrup (google "sugar wax recipes") and use it the way you would wax, smoothing it on and tearing it off with muslin or linen strips.

It is not nearly as painful as waxing, because it's warm, not hot, and it adheres much more closely to hair than to skin.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe I should try that. I never had any luck w/waxing, so I gave up trying. And, I hate to shave. But, I also hate in the summer to look like I have a rain forest on my legs. :/

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I tried a premade sugar mix once... and it hurt like all get out!!!! It was aweful.
But the thought of having to shave less often is nice. But I am not sure that I could acutally get 'less often' out of it as I usually only shave once a week anyway.
So it goes...

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Shaving has become a huge business. The makers of razors do NOT want you to do anything but "Use once and throw away" which can be very expensive. I remember when I was in the Navy as a young man, I had a friend named George who (although he does NOT know this) taught me to shave. He was a law student at the University of Baltimore. He used a brush and shaving soap. He always used very hot water to mix the brush with the soap after soaking his face with hot water. Often as not he just used Ivory soap because it was a) cheap and b) didn't blow up on an airplane and c) didn't take up extra space in the bathroom bag we all carried in the Navy.

After shaving he cleaned his brush thoroughly with water and shook it out to get it as dry as he could. He always hung the brush up to drain with the bristles pointing down.

Then he held his razor under hot water and put his finger over the water spigot to make the pressure really high and clean everything between the (at that time) double blades. Once that was clean and dry he took the blade and ran the back of it up his arm which just honed the blade enough to uncurl the edge. (away from the edge not toward it like when you shave)

Once I learned his technique, I was able to go for several months with the SAME blade and used maybe two blades a year. When I bought a new razor, it would go out of style before I used up all the blades that came with the handle. Now that I am an "Old Geezer" I don't shave my face any more because there is no need for it and the beard keeps my face warm in the harsh South Dakota wind.

So if you do it right, you can buy a handle and enough blades to last you for many years. Always worked for me. Straight razors take a level of finess that not everyone has so maybe just a good "safety razor" will do a good job for quite some time.

YMMV
Trim Sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Wow, thanks Trim, good advice. I am going to pass some of this on to my other half. Every little thing that can extend the life of something is helpful!

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i shave my head and face (all but a long gotee and stash) about every 3 or 4 days. an 8 pack of 3 blade swivel heads runs me around $7, but i only get 2 uses out of each blade. however reading icu4dzs method may get me a few more shaves out of each. i already do most of what he suggests but i've not tried the reverse strop method he suggests. seems like it would make a big difference. appreciate the heads up .... no pun intended :lol:

doc

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use a safety razor I bought from Lehmans. Blades last me quite awhile since I have a slow whiskers thus only need to shave twice a week. I use to use a straight razor but found it a bit more tiring (I have arthritis in my hands) in my hands, so switched over to the straight razor. As to what I use for soap, I make my soap as that's my work title, and so I buy a couple packs of razors which last me just a shy over a year before I buy more.

BrandedX

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I haven't shaved since the beginning of October. I've saved a ton of cash exercising abstinence. :gig

Prior to my "Whiskered Rebellion" I just used a cheap little trimmer that I'd picked up for under 15 bucks along with about 4 rechargeable AA battery's that came with the charger as a bonus. During the five year's I had it, it generally was used once or twice a week and held up surprisingly well since I kept it clean and well oiled. The batteries eventually got lost or more likely pilfered for the kids electronics and then tossed away but then i just started taking them out of the television remote. lol

Point is... The trimmer has lasted a good long time (heck, it's still sitting in the back of the bathroom cupboard patiently waiting for the first 90 degree day of the year to come along when it knows I'll come looking for it when I get tired of sweatin' and itchin'.) When it does finally conk out I'll upgrade to one with an actual cord though.