Reading The Signs, Awareness Around You..

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
What if any signs are you seeing going on around you, that would confirm your beliefs for emergency prepardness...? If none, and you come here for self sufficiency only,( which is a good thing) you need not reply to this thread.This thread is for those who see what happening and are preparing accordingly for emergencies.One sign i've seen in my surrounding area are more people, taking control of there food supply.Not because they want to be more self sufficient, but because they are afraid of and don't like what they see going on, there is a difference...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
More people getting in to gardening. More people downsizing their cars. More people paying off debt....

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do a little of both. Trying to take control of our food supply, because Australia has suffered quite a lot of damage to it's crops over the last months. First I think it was a large percentage of the wheat crop (if not all of it) due to untimely weather. Someone poisoned the irrigation systems for many fields of produce (namely tomatoes, but I think others were involved). Cyclone Yasi, wiping out the banana groves and sugar cane in Queensland. A regular bunch of bananas which, at .79 cents a pound in CA, are like, 15-20 bucks per kilo (approximately two pounds) here now. My FIL says potatoes are going up in price as well. Garlic here is very expensive, unless you buy the stuff from China, and who wants that? It's been a tough year for Aussie farming industry, and food prices are high.

Fortunately though, the loss of life during the recent local natural disasters was extremely low, maybe a couple of people (and ironically, the deaths were made up by at least three births!), and Australia is handling the damages well. Totally not like the aftermath of Katrina, which, from what I understand, is still looking terrible.

Which is why I have been focusing so much on trying to find and utilize garden space. I got a late start, so the first year is going to be kind of pricey, since we'll have to buy supplement veggies, but next year I'm hoping to make it an entirely different story. Once I can provide most of our own veggies, buying the occassional bunch of bananas won't bite so hard (even though I can do without them, and it's mostly hubby who eats them now).

I also have started bottling my own foods (spaghetti sauce, chutney, rosehip jam, and soon to be, regular tomato sauce, or possibly diced tomatoes). It's a start, but it's an important beginning, and hopefully helps to cut down on spending in the long run.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I prepare for emergencies. Because emergencies always happen. And it is the nature of emergencies that you can't always predict when or what kind.

Sort of a generic feature of life, no matter when or where you live, seems to me.

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I see signs of financial distress around my area.

Word of mouth at people are out of work, laid off and all that. In the store I see less stuff in carts. People with coupons in hand. At the pumps those who would fill up are getting 'only' $40 in the tank.....that kind of thing.

I don't really see anyone preparing for 'anything' other than financial distress and being way more worried where and how their dollar is being spent.

Around here gardens are everywhere anyway...being country everyone gardens to some extent. Everyone preserves and cans their harvest etc. Everyone hunts for meat on the plate (well alot do...at least the type I know and hunting is huge in my area along with fish fry nights.)

So I guess it is an economy disaster basically. The paycheck does not go as far and hopefully those that have jobs will keep them!

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sometimes times are good, sometimes they are bad. This has been going on forever. There is nothing new "going on". It is a cycle.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chickenone said:
Sometimes times are good, sometimes they are bad. This has been going on forever. There is nothing new "going on". It is a cycle.
I agree with this because regardless of 'what our times are now' they happened before to some extent.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
chickenone said:
I agree with this because regardless of 'what our times are now' they happened before to some extent.
I mean, it's never fun being in a down cycle; but keep in mind that what goes down, comes up. It always has.

Status
Not open for further replies.