Rebeccas journal-it ran!!!!!!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The incubator spazzed out on me last night around 10 o'clock or so. I ended up staying up with it until almost midnight. It kept jumping temp. It wouldn't drop. No one messed with the thermostat. It's inside the incubator and you have to open the main door and a little door with all the electrical stuff. I think it may have hung or something. I kept the door open trying to get it to stay cool while I tried to figure out what was wrong. I didn't let it get too high. I think it only got to 104 before I caught it. Then it kept trying to jump everytime I shut the door back. Reached 110 in just minutes while I was watching it. I didn't want to adjust the thermostat since I knew it was set, but thats what I ended up doing this morning when it started that junk again. Last night it did drop and work right around 11:30. When I got up the temp was good with no spikes. When I checked it about 9 this morning a wire to the element had come loose and the temp was 75 in it! Sheesh! 4 days to hatch and it starts junk! Anyway after I fixed the element it started overheating/spiking again. I finally just turned the thermostat down and it started holding right and has all day. Anyway last night since it had to cool down anyway I candled the eggs. I saw 4 baby chicks moving in the shell! Today I got started on the new garden area and got the blueberries planted. Tomorrow I'm going to try to plant the blackberries and finish the garden and work on the greenhouse. I also need to get in gear and get stuff done in the house. I hate housework when it's beautiful outside. After tomorrow it supposed to rain every day for the next few days.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I feel the same. When it's nice out, I'd rather be outside than in. Of course, I'd also rather be riding or canoeing than working, but that's a whole nudder story! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The temp will spike as the babies start to produce their own body heat within the shells. I have had 4 degree spikes a day or so before lockdown. What kind of bator do you have? Hope it works at least for this hatch!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
The temp will spike as the babies start to produce their own body heat within the shells. I have had 4 degree spikes a day or so before lockdown. What kind of bator do you have? Hope it works at least for this hatch!
I did not know that, so on those days like that you lower it to proper temp, correct?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
I did not know that, so on those days like that you lower it to proper temp, correct?
I do, yes. Just watch the temp during the last 7-10 days and you'll see the gradual rise, and can turn the thermostat back a smidge before lockdown.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Wow thanks! I didn't know that either! I had to turn my 'bator down and now it's holding perfect temp! My 'bator is homemade. A plywood box with basically an electric room heater that's been taken apart and reassembled in it. I'm using the thermostat out of the heater. I had to find just the right spot to place it lol! It's a little bigger than the size a regular cabinet incubator. I used plexiglass out of an old boat windshield for the door viewing spot. I need to add lightbulbs and a backup thermostat to keep down fluctuations. That wire has come loose 2 times in the last 18 days, so adding at least two bulbs ought to fix that and adding a backup thermostat that'll kick of in case of spikes like the night before.... I think I'll hunt up another water heater thermostat for that. Or I may just go ahead and get a regular wafer thermostat. That would probably be better since the water heater thermostat has a wider on/off range than I would like, but it would still do. They work great however for brooders!
Anyway I have to go do laundry. :( Its beautiful outside! Btw the incubator has been holding around 100-101 ever since I turned it down.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:thumbsup good deal rebecca. I'm with you on the laundry drudgery today too :/ at least I have 2 loads on the line now. They should be dry very soon in this 80 degrees and sunshine :D

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need to get my line put up. I'm using a dryer right now, but hopefully not much longer! I just need to get the stuff to build it and try to find some good wooden clips. The ones at the dollar store are worthless!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am using the ones from the dollar store right now. :hu When they get ugly and gray I just bleach them. They work well enough. My line is between three trees..the whole set up pins included was about $3.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's how mine was last year. Only problem was the trees are too far apart and the line was kinda stretchy or something. If I hung too many clothes on it then it would sag really bad and some stuff would touch the ground. I tied the line using something to stand on, but it did it anyway! So this year I'm using some landscape timbers I have laying around and 2x4s and make Ts out of them. All I really need to buy is the line and pins. The last clothespins I got were really weak so the clothes that didn't sag to the ground fell off! Lol