recommend me a shampoo?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I will be the first to admit this is not exactly about self-sufficiency, but it *is* about frugality so I was hoping you could indulge me :p

This week I finally ran out of what turned out to be a 12 yr supply of shampoo that I bought, well, 12 years ago :p at a liquidation store. I really REALLY liked the brand - smelled nice, worked well for my hair, and the dozen and a half bottles worked out to something like $1 each.

Alas, the last drop is finally gone from the last bottle, the brand ("Freeman Botanicals Wild Orchid And Somethingorother shampoo") has LONG since gone extinct, and I am left shampooless.

I've tried my husband's Prell (which itself has gotten pretty hard to find and AFAIK is no longer sold in Canada at all) at various times over the years, but I just don't like it much. I've also tried the kids' No More Tears, but it leaves my hair still feeling greasy. I used to use Neutrogena, but it was pretty expensive back then and don't want to know what it'd cost now if it's even still available.

I don't need anything froufrou or high tech or complicated, just something that will clean my hair in a reasonable way, you know? My hair is long, rather coarse and frizzy, and I only wash it about once a week (hence my liquidation-world supply lasting for so long :p), if that helps.

Any recommendations?

Thanks very much,

Pat

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
My sister just uses castile liquid soap with rosemary essential oil mixed into it.

ETA: we can get Suave shampoos for about $1 here.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I rather like pantene and dove shampoo. I buy the gigantic bottles at costco, and they last quite a long time for about $9 a bottle. I wash my hair everyday, I have very thin and fine hair, had long hair forever, but now it is short. I'd say between me and hubby, the bottle lasts around 3-4 months. Now that my hair is short, I imagine it will last longer.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Got my free coupon today for Suave (someone here posted about it a couple weeks back), I'm going to try it out.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Long long hair and I can't tolerate anything but the cheap VO5. I've bought it all, salon, green, and everything in between.
I do shower daily because I exercise heavily so I'm not sure how it does for once per week usage.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Reinbow,

got my coupon too. Expiration date is end of this month. So don't hold on to it too long! :D

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hope I get my coupon soon!

I love Suave. VO5 is okay too. I like Dove, but it is more expensive.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
big bertha said:
Reinbow,

got my coupon too. Expiration date is end of this month. So don't hold on to it too long! :D
I know, I saw that! We're going shopping this weekend.