recycled wool sweaters

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mom showed me this neat little article in Country Living's Jan 09 issue. It explains how to take an old wool sweater, wash it in hot water to felt it up, then cut handles out of the neck, and sew up the bottom. You end up with a really neat tote bag. Check it out.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I have made these before...super easy!!! It only takes about 20 minutes to make!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oo, I think I bought that one today. We were going to do that to sell at the farmers market come spring. We have loads of old knitted sweaters hanging around, and there are tons at the local thrift you can save for 50 cents.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh yeah lupin-- that's a good idea! I bet those would sell really well.
But you know what stinks?? My DH is allergic to wool. Can't have it anywhere near him. :rolleyes:

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made my sister a great hot water bottle cover using a felted sweater. I am thinking of getting a sweater and felting it on purpose to make myself some slippers and a purse.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Gee and I thought that shrinking a sweater was a stupid thing to do- and it was really an opportunity. But I can't quite see the handles- are they the arms of the sweater or something?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
old sweaters and sweatshirts etc can be cut and tapered to fit baby animals needing warmth for emergencies etc.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You cut the sleeves to make handles. Fold them in half and sew them up, then sew them onto the bottom piece.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea, with endless possibilities to be creative and reuse. Too bad I got rid of all my wool sweaters a couple of years ago :/
I am so going to go to the thrift stores looking for sweaters.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There was a lady selling mittens that were made out of sweaters. They were really nice and she was really selling alot of them for $25-$30. Just a thought!:)