recycled wool sweaters

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This whole thread makes me wish I didn't just donate 15 like new wool sweaters.....

Does the quality of the wool matter?
Does the thickness matter?
Are some wools easier to cut or sew than others?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Also check out Martha Stewart's....or is it Stuart? website. There are instructions for felting old sweaters and some cute toys and mittens, if I remember correctly. If someone has access to a bunch from Goodwill, you could make up some really great gifts or to sell.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Sandra, my dd made lots of her wooly baby pants after she bought one and saw how easy it would be to duplicate. I don't think she used sweaters, but I could be wrong. Thought provoking subject....

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I read that these wool sweaters could be used as cushions for your clogs--just cut them to fit into your shoes and they are great for warmth and 'bounce'! Also, how about making mittens from them??? Place your hand on the sweater --with your wrist at the them hemmed edge and trace--leaving enough room for a seam..You can use old flannel jps or sheets for lining the mittens..

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I suppose you could unravel them and knit or crochet new items with the yarn.

erthymom2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i buy them at yard sales or on half-price day at the s.army, "felt them" them stich them up as small pillow covers for the couch, travel pillow size for the car, and seat covers for my auction-seat cushion i take to sit on - keeps my tush toasty!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok now I am starting to get this whole felting thing. If you make any of those felted teacup pin cushions I would love to buy one from you!!!!

My Good Will charges so much for everything. I need to find another surce for sweaters if I wnt to try that.

gina