Recycling furniture

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
hikerchick said:
Just a slight correction - I didn't pee on the couch - the dogs did. And, once they did, I stopped spending time on it.

Just for clarification.

I promise not to burn any more furniture. It's actually much harder to do in the city anyway.
Thank you :clap :hugs

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think we should use some wisdom in how we reuse or how we dispose of any furniture that is worn out. My DD got my old kitchen table for her apartment. The table is STILL in great shape, and useful, being round, heavy, connected with bolts and wingnuts, and it has 2 leaves, wooden with a synthetic top. The chairs....are practically gone. Only 3 are in good shape after almost 30 years of use. The wood has just HAD IT for the other 3. The best thing for me to do is to buy her new chairs, and burn the 3 bad ones, and use the ash for gardening.
I've found a new use for an old foam cushion that was, at one time, a covered cot mattress. I have it propped up this winter against my west-facing, back mud-room door in the basement. (there are double doors on the landing, then 5 1/2 steps down into the basement from there.) This is doing a great job of keeping out drafts. I REALLY need to save up for a new back door--preferably steel insulated. If I make it through the winter, I'll need it by November, 2010.
I guess after I get the new door, I'll use the foam padding for storing stuff in the barn that might need it.
BTW, once the "bad cat who peed on it" was done with my light green, sculpted, rectangular rug in the basement, I had to hang it on my fence for 6 months, to get it to smell sweet again!!!!! :barnie
I cleaned up my front (enclosed) porch for the holidays, brought in the rug--it's got a few stains, now--and put it down for our feet under 2 of our Adirondack chairs. We (and the dogs) love the rug there this winter!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Right D4You!

I was wondering if used couch cushions could be used as insulation for something, say a chicken coop or under the house or something. Even if it has been peed on by "someone". ;) Which I think if you take out the foam rubber out of the fabric, it can be rinsed out.

Anyone out there know?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd be a little reluctant, only because it would be an ideal place for rodents to set up an apartment house....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Oh yeah, remember Ldychf2k's couch mouse problem? :p http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2924

Is there something in insulatioin that keeps the little buggers out of it?

The lady that used to own this house nailed styrofoam (from packaging) to the roof of the basement. The inspector didn't poo poo the idea, nor did he say it was a great idea either. :/

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I confused you--the cat peed only on the green rug--not the cushion. I hung the rug on my pasture fence for about 6 months, throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall. I kept putting my nose up to it to check it. By the end of October, AFTER all of the sun, wind and rain, it was smelling really nice and fresh, so I thought I'd give it a new job, on my front, enclosed porch. :D

Zimuel

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Those are the good tips in recycling the unused furniture in household. Through these tips, you don't need to spend too much money for buying woods for example to repair some of your defective furniture in your house. I also did this furniture recycling.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I give away my old couches and such. Put it out by the road with a free sign and they are whisked away! So many people out there who just cannot afford furniture, no matter how worn you think it may be.

I've seen used couches passed around from one family member to another for years. Someone, somewhere out there, can really use your old things. Before I ever think of tearing one down to repurpose, I think of others who would love to have it instead.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Don't forget to shop at antique and second hand stores before going to some big name furniture store. We have decided to break the cycle of buying cheapy particle board "furniture". Sometimes you can find really good deals and haggle over price on "real" furniture that is more durable and apt to last longer in the first place. Don't buy junk that will not survive your children or lifestyle in the first place. Invest the money in quality constructed pieces that will last a lifetime in the first place.

And....ewwwwww puked up rabbit is disgusting.....:sick