Reducing expenses

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Where do you live? My fiance tells me there isn't enough light to start seeds.
I am starting onion seeds in the window this week.
I would have to live above the arctic circle to not be able to do it :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I like your Craiglist jar. :) I do that with Paypal and earning my spending money.

I REALLY like your goal of one free item per meal. I can totally do that in summer! I might change that a bit into one free or "loss leader" per day. I think I can do that.

You've inspired me to sort something out for dinner tonight. (TY :cool )

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Where do you live? My fiance tells me there isn't enough light to start seeds.
I am starting onion seeds in the window this week.
I would have to live above the arctic circle to not be able to do it :lol:
I have tangerine seeds in a bag with wet paper towel, taped to the kitchen window. I don't think they like have -10 degrees on their butts, lol.

I could do alfalfa sprouts? Now sure if my fiance likes them. I like them in sandwiches, so that is all the reason I need, right? :D

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Lettuce and spinach are easy to do in window boxes. And they don't mind a draft every now and then.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
How many hours of light do they need? We have a south window but it has no sill and it is right over the head of our bed. :/

I'm thinking getting dirt in a pot is going to be a challenge right now. I dumped out all my containter pots into the compost pile.... which is frozen under 2 - 3 feet of snow. :/

Can I do some hydroponic something?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
MsPony said:
Awesome thread!! Will have to read through over and over. I am contemplating not working next semester of work and will need all this!!

My est. expenses:
Insurance
Bus money if school doesn't provide the pass for w/e reason
Horse board + farrier + supps as he's old
My rats and hamster are rolled together, like $30/3 months
Rabbit averages $20/month
Chickens I split per head between mom and myself, there are 9 and 5 are mine. We buy seed in bulk and they free range.
Food...well yall are making it about free now!!

...I'm just glad no more gas/oil/check ups on my huge truck!! Ill barely be driving it...
You're gonna disagree, but I think PETS are a luxury. Animals need to earn their keep around here. My fiance has his pet dog. I have a service dog. I'm doing a second round of culling/selling rabbits to get rid of the last ones that aren't producing.

If your rabbit isn't a food production animal, sell it. (Please tell me it's not $20/month for ONE rabbit. I pay less than that for 8 rabbits) Same for the rats, hamster, and horse. Harsh? Yes, but we ARE talking about reducing expenses, right?!

You could get down to
insurance
bus pass?
chickens
food for yourself

That looks nice! You could save a good bit of money towards an SS future with getting rid of pets.
Ugh, trying to get rid of the rats!! No one wants them and religious beliefs go against killing them. I have a female and two males, so they could produce and make babies for my hubbys snakes to eat which would be $20 less a week...hmm...

The rabbit is my baby, no effing way would she be food production (aside from that, she's from a rescue and spayed.) I buy her high quality hay & digestive supps as she's chinchilla furred and I don't want unncessary hairball surgeries. The horse is mine for life, not going to dump a 20 year old animal.

However, food could go down! We spent $95 for 2 weeks tonight :S We bought too many premade meals, but I haven't had the energy or time to make and freeze meals. I started some seeds, so ill be able to eat my own veggies/herbs. Thank goodness I'm vegetarian, no need to worry about meat.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If rats are snake food, that's awesome. :)

Are you buying hay at a WalMart or something? I have angoras, so same concerns about wool block. Get a whole bale for $2 - $3. What supplements? Calf Manna is awesome - $20 for 40 or 50 pound bag. It will last the life of your rabbit.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since she's my baby I buy her high quality (and organic) oxbow hay & pellets. I found the lowest prices in town already ;) She gets petromalt treats and oxbow papaya tablets. No wal mart near me. Not even close. I live in a small town that emphasizes local/independent, yet living wage is $15.50 and I make $9...messed.up.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also if I ran my rabbits diff I'd feed calf manna and diff hay, but she's an indoor run-of-the-house rabbit with a closet of outfits and a carseat.

I was meant to have a little dog I think, LOL