Remodeling a doublewide (PIC HEAVY--NEW PICS!)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
There has been some discussion here and there about remodeling a doublewide and if it is worth it. As some of you know, my husband and I were very blessed recently by my granny. She was forced by her siblings to sell the property that was owned jointly by them and had to do something with her 2005 doublewide. Unable to sell it for almost a year and forced to move it by developers she chose to give it to my husband and I. We were also blessed by my FIL who gave us 2.5 acres off of his family land so that we could accept her offer.

Based on the value of the land and the home we were able to get a loan from the bank of $65,000. We had to install well and septic, a driveway, dig footers for the house, move the house and existing deck around 200 miles to the new location, build a back deck of some sort so it would pass inspection for occupancy, permits, HVAC, plumbing and water lines, new electric lines and transformer, and other various expenses. So far we have spent about $52,000 and that includes the purchase of a trailer to haul trash, hay, animals, etc. so that we would not have to rely on others to borrow theirs. We would have had to have one eventually with the move to the new farm.

We also chose to do some remodeling to make the house our own. Here are the things we have done so far and still have to finish some things but we have since moved in.

*paint all the rooms except laundry room (yes, you can paint a doublewide!)
*install laminate flooring in all rooms except bathrooms/laundry room
*build a 12x20 back deck
*install fencing for a new bird run and rabbit run
*paint kitchen cabinets
*remove existing fireplace and rebuild it with glass tile and new surround (still needs trim attached and paint)
*new baseboards for living room, kitchen and master BR
*new plywood, tar paper, and stone for underpenning of house
*ceiling fans for all 3 bedrooms (they only had light fixtures)

Is it worth it to remodel a mobil home? Well, that depends on what you do and how long you choose to live there.

For us it was worth it because we are hoping to pay off the loan from the sale of our other home completely or relatively closely. We should be able to clear $40-$50k on the sale of our old home and that is listing it $20k cheaper than 3 other comparable homes in the area to hopefully sell quicker.

When all is said and done our mortgage should be $10-20 at the most and hopefully less. We have enough left over from our loan to cover the new loan payments and utility bills for at least a year with some left over.

We wanted to rip out the old carpet because my granny's dog and my mom's 2 dogs had soiled it in several rooms and we knew it needed to go. We chose to spend the extra money on laminate to avoid all the issues that go along with carpet and I am glad we did.

The old walls were all off white with brown stripes throughout and were not the worse I have seen in a mobile home but they just looked dingy to us so we painted them and the cabinets didn't go with the flooring we picked out and made the kitchen look dark so we painted them white to brighten things up.

Cosmetically speaking, anyone could do what we did with minimal cost and we installed everything ourselves. We probably spent $600 on primer (got enough to do this house and some of the rooms at the old house), paint, deck stain, and supplies.

The flooring was about $2000 but that was with the moisture barrier (the padding was attached) glue for the boards in the kitchen, new baseboard trim pieces and transition strips, and installation kit. We got it for $1.49 a sq ft. from lumber liquidators.

We hope to be debt free in 2-5 years as a result of this move.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
And now for the pics!

Here is the front and back of the house with the stone work on the bottom and new back deck. The front deck was already with the house so we had it moved as well and reset with the home.
100_2963.jpg

100_2964.jpg

Here is the kitchen before and after
100_2913.jpg

100_2952.jpg

here is the living room before and after (fireplace surround isn't finished but will be trimmed out and painted white)
100_2904.jpg

100_2912.jpg

100_2977.jpg

here is master BR before and after
100_2915.jpg

100_2976.jpg

Dining room before and after (excuse the mess!)
100_2914.jpg

100_2974.jpg

Tyler's room before and after (camera battery died before I could get a pic with his furniture in there)
100_2909.jpg

100_2957.jpg

Maddie's room before and after
100_2910.jpg

100_2975.jpg

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Here are the animal areas

Fence for the chickens and ducks
100_2965.jpg

Coops
100_2966.jpg

Happy birds
100_2968.jpg

100_2970.jpg

100_2971.jpg

bunny run with wooded area (this is Bambi)
100_2972.jpg

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
OMGoodness, that is just wonderful. What a wonderful sense of accomplishment, and what amazing results. I love it ! And to think, the kids can walk out the door and run to their heart's content. So amazing.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
And let me just tell you that there are a MILLION lightning bugs out here! Don't even get me started about the stars.....hubby looked at me last night and said "now this is what life should be like right here!"

We haven't gotten the playground equipment set up or the garden space done yet....it will run adjacent to the bird run to utilize 60 feet of existing fence. We are planning on having 9-12 raised beds 4x4 feet in size and a space for planting corn and taters in the ground. Finished garden size will be 20x60. We also planted 6 blueberry bushes, 3 apple trees, 2 pear trees, and 2 cherry trees.

I can't wait to get my clothesline up too! That is on the agenda for today :lol: my poor husband.....

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Your new place is very, VERY nice!! Love your animal setups!

:thumbsup

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thanks, the patch of bare ground was already there, the cows that used to run the property used the low hanging tree as a back scratcher, so we put all the food and stuff that we thought would be messy anyway there.

The rabbit hutch was a freebie from a neighbor that used to raise rabbit beagles and then moved.

Hubby built the chicken coop and we moved it over.

The small coop that isn't painted is our old quail hutch that is built from scrap pallets and has a solid floor made from scrap lumber and covered in hardware cloth. We are currently using it as a broody coop. I am moving the food bins under the coop to get them out of the rain and I hope to replace them with metal ones. The squirrels have done a number on the plastic ones :rolleyes:

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
That looks great! Now....where will the garden go? :lol: haha!! Just kidding! Seriously, you two did a fantastic job!