Removing a light fixture (New Photos!)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tight... :lol:
Sorry, I'm easily amused. :hide

You shouldn't have any issues just capping it off. If a fixture is wired in a series, it's usually apparent right off.
:thumbsup to enjoytheride, too. Cap that switch off, or you'll have people flipping it just to see what happened. Which will be nothing.

You shouldn't have multiples of the different colors though, except where the fixture has a "tail" which is tied into the main wire (What BD was talking about). The tail would be disconnected from the main & remain attached to the fixture. Then you'd cap the main off as stated.

And yep, like BD said, if you want another outlet, it's is the perfect time to put one in. Granted, it'd be right where the fixture is, which might not be convenient.

spelling and incorrect word

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
You could also put an outlet in the box
Really?! Great, then maybe I can use it to add a painting light.

I will prolly never use a painting light though unless I have company, but an outlet would come in handy one day I'm sure.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You will almost certainly be replacing it wiht a junction box, which it is (for rather good reasons) against building code to 'bury' in a wall behind drywall or plaster. So you will likely end up with a junction box sitting there rather unattractively, which is fine if you can hang a picture or put a bookcase in front of it but I'm just pointing this out ;)

HOWEVER, check which way the wires are coming. They are quite possibly snaked *up* to that fixture from a line run at "normal electrical outlet" level. If that should be the case, and you would like to do a spiff and seamless job of it, then you can open a new hole in the wall at normal electrical outlet level (TURN OFF BREAKERS FIRST!!), haul the wires back down once detached from the light fixture box, install a normal electrical outlet there, then patch the hole(s) in the wall. There will be no sign you ever had a stupidly-located light fixture there, and you'll have gained an outlet ;)

The only other way I know of to avoid having a junction box sticking stupidly out of your drywall is to fish a whole new wire (since the existing one won't be long enough, and you mustn't join wires without a junction box) from the previous fixture on that circuit to the next one. In some circumstances this may be fairly easy to do. In that case you would simply be eliminating the light fixture and patching the hole it had. It is usually a lot harder to fish wires through walls though and may not be worth it to ya.

(e.t.a - fwiw, personally I hate switched outlets, they always seem to be the 'only logical' place to plug in a digital clock or a fishtank or an incubator or suchlike, and then someone comes along and turns the switch off without your knowing...)

Good luck, have fun, BE SAFE,

Pat

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
NEVER just cap wires and tuck them into a wall!!!

This is a fire just waiting to happen.

If the light fixture was put in correctly there should be a junction box in the wall and encasing the wires. If the J box is there you simply cap the wires with wire nuts and then tape over nut and all and push into the box then use a matching junction box lid and simply screw it on safely enclosing the wires. Hang a picture or simply paint the junction box lid to match the wall and it "goes away".

If there is no box in the wall simply upgrade by adding a junction box. There are many on the market made to go into an existing wall. Called "old work" boxes they fasten to the wall by means of little wings that spin out and then screw tight to the wall from the front. They basically sandwich the wall between the wings and a lip on the front of the box. After adding the box and pulling the wires through into the space (pull the wires THEN attach the box), simply add the box lid and proceed as above.

Of course ALWAYS shut off breakers and observe other safety rules as well.

I have rewired my whole house with an electrical engineer to teach me. Better safe than sorry. Those codes are there for a reason.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Definition: Junction boxes are metal or plastic, measure 2 1/2 inches or 3 1/2 inches deep and it's where wires go to live when they are joined together. Boxes that measure 2 x 3 and 2 1/2 inches deep generally contain 3 wires. Boxes that measure 2 x 3 and 3 1/2 inches deep are made for five wires.
Secure a junction box to a strong structural member such as a stud or joist if the box will be used to support a light fixture. Other types of junction boxes have wings that fit inside a cut-out drywall hole, but they will not support a light fixture.

Use a cable clamp to secure ROMEX wiring that comes into the box, and cap wires inside the box with wire nuts. If you have difficulty twisting the wires together, use a needle-nose pliers to twist black to black and white to white.

Had to look it up, but I'm sure someone else will also find this handy.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
IMO the plastic ones work the best. They are made so they just secure the wire entering the box with a squeezy clip built in. Be sure to pull at least an inch of the outer wire jacket into the junction box in front of the clip.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
IMO the plastic ones work the best. They are made so they just secure the wire entering the box with a squeezy clip built in. Be sure to pull at least an inch of the outer wire jacket into the junction box in front of the clip.
Hey Farmfresh, what are you doing this weekend? Wanna come over? :D