Removing a light fixture (New Photos!)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is not required by code in most places BUT I would MOST CERTAINLY electrical tape the wire nut onto the wire, wrap it around so every thing is nice and covered. I personally think it should be code, but yannooo

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I will help you on line if you need it.

Little far for me to drive. :p

I have done a lot of this stuff over the years.

My first step is just shut off the juice and open 'er up to see what I am starting with, put it "back for now" - then go shopping.

One big help is just look up that "expert" at Home Depot or the local hardware store and let them help you find the stuff you need. Definites are good wire pliers, screw on wire nuts and electrical tape. A plug in current testor is in order if you are installing an outlet in the space as someone suggested. I always prefer the BOXED outlets etc over the cheaper ones in a bin. Maybe I am wrong, but I feel those other ones get banged around an awful lot.

I'll be checking so let the questions rip.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
**Digs toe in the dirt** I didn't know I have a fire hazzard. It got approved :hu I might have to go digging in drywall this weekend...

But, like I said somewhere else, we have pretty lax codes in this state. Listen to FF :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The reason I got started wiring in the first place was I found out my WHOLE FREAKING house was a fire hazard!

Old knob and tube wiring - ran through insulated walls, which is a no no in the first place.
Then if they needed a new wire somewhere, why you just scrape off some of the insulation twist on another wire and zoom it away. In one spot in my basement this procedure was carried out 7 times in less than 2 feet run of wire! We even had bare wire - full of electricity - going through the wall and insulation that surrounded it was WET through until soggy. Why it did not burn down or kill people is anyone's guess.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh scary. I lived in a house (not for long!) that had bare wires to... well... just about everything. I attempted to put in a new ceiling fan, saw NO insulation on the wires. Pulled them, and they kept coming & coming. Turned into a 3' tangle of bare wires. We moved the next week. After living with no lights for that week. I was too scared to turn the breakers back on.

Thankfully, the drywall that I patched over that spot is pretty obvious. My first attempt at patching a wall, so it looks like a 1st grader did it. At least my fire hazard is easy to find.

Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Definition: Junction boxes are metal or plastic, measure 2 1/2 inches or 3 1/2 inches deep and it's where wires go to live when they are joined together. Boxes that measure 2 x 3 and 2 1/2 inches deep generally contain 3 wires. Boxes that measure 2 x 3 and 3 1/2 inches deep are made for five wires.
Secure a junction box to a strong structural member such as a stud or joist if the box will be used to support a light fixture. Other types of junction boxes have wings that fit inside a cut-out drywall hole, but they will not support a light fixture.

Use a cable clamp to secure ROMEX wiring that comes into the box, and cap wires inside the box with wire nuts. If you have difficulty twisting the wires together, use a needle-nose pliers to twist black to black and white to white.

Had to look it up, but I'm sure someone else will also find this handy.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
And always be sure your nuts are tight!

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
big brown horse said:
Definition: Junction boxes are metal or plastic, measure 2 1/2 inches or 3 1/2 inches deep and it's where wires go to live when they are joined together. Boxes that measure 2 x 3 and 2 1/2 inches deep generally contain 3 wires. Boxes that measure 2 x 3 and 3 1/2 inches deep are made for five wires.
Secure a junction box to a strong structural member such as a stud or joist if the box will be used to support a light fixture. Other types of junction boxes have wings that fit inside a cut-out drywall hole, but they will not support a light fixture.

Use a cable clamp to secure ROMEX wiring that comes into the box, and cap wires inside the box with wire nuts. If you have difficulty twisting the wires together, use a needle-nose pliers to twist black to black and white to white.

Had to look it up, but I'm sure someone else will also find this handy.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
And always be sure your nuts are tight!
I think she covered this in the "What to do with old clothes thread" :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Breaker is off and here is a shot of the fixture b/f I cut the wire that connects it to the wall
912_fixture_001.jpg

Wire is now cut. It was spliced and attached to a black wire and to a white wire, both were capped.
912_fixture_003.jpg

Close up of the box, 2X4 rectangle.
912_fixture_008.jpg

I've counted 4 wires coming out of the box, 1 black, 1 red, 1 white, 1 copper wire. The light fixtures wire is attached both to a red wire and a white wire and capped. The black wire is capped and the copper wire, well I have no idea what it is doing in there.

I also put a temp. cap on the cut end of the light fixture's wire until I finish the job.