Replacing a well pump

Arielle

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
WOuld love to hear from anyone with ideas for pumping well water up 300 feet without using conventional system using commercial electricity.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you checked out solar DH would love to replace ours with a solar pump, but it's pricey!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think that the old windmills could lift quite a ways, ours was just 53 feet and it was very expensive to maintain there was a casing that went down to the water table but a suck type won't work that deep. the pump had to be down the well with a long rod to lift the water. the pump was basically two plungers both fitted with one way flappers. when you lifted the pump handle the plungers would allow water to enter the pump chamber and when you pushed down on the handle you actually lifted the water about one foot. Very slow and hard work when the wind isn't blowing.

sankalp

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Saving energy is the need of today and tomorrow.

anthonyc12

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My submersible pump was over 20 years old, not supplying enough water to flush the toilet and take a shower along with blowing the circuit breaker on occasion. It was down 60 feet and I had to figure out how to unlock the pitless adapter before I could pull out the well.
The pitless adapter was made by Wells Inc. in Ohio and can be unlocked by making a tool using a 6 foot, 1/2" steel pipe. Take the pipe, flatten one end leaving enough clearance for the inside to fit over a wingnut and make a handle on the opposite end. The flattened end goes down the 1" pipe that suspends the well and by turning counterclockwise the pitless adaper foot will go down. Make sure the water and pump is turned off before doing this.
The well was pulled out using 2 "U" brackets and a come-a-long suspended from an extension ladder leaning against a tree. This method can bring the ell up at about 3 feet at time before needing to reposition the brackets which I used to hold the well on the side of the 4" well casing.

13077d1369421422-replacing-well-pump-unlocking-pitless-adapter-pitlesstool.jpg

13078d1369421437-replacing-well-pump-unlocking-pitless-adapter-pitless1.jpg

13079d1369421449-replacing-well-pump-unlocking-pitless-adapter-pitless2.jpg

13080d1369421464-replacing-well-pump-unlocking-pitless-adapter-pitlessadapter.jpg

13081d1369421475-replacing-well-pump-unlocking-pitless-adapter-takingoutwell.jpg

Anthony Cole
Hammers Construction Inc.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WOuld love to hear from anyone with ideas for pumping well water up 300 feet without using conventional system using commercial electricity.

My well is 450 feet deep and I just had to replace the conventional pump.

A little background here. My well is 1000 feet from my house and the water has to be pumped from the well with a booster pump to achieve this. So the pump IN the well only has to get the water to the surface. Where the booster pump takes over. Its doing a great job.

The deal was My electric bill was almost 150 dollars a month just to supply water to my animals. (yes I have a storage tank but thats a WHOLE other story.... LOL) I have one horse three goats and at the time about 30 chickns. AND I dont live at the house at this time so the whole house was shut down.

The well guy suggested I go with a lower capacity pump. Because my well was soo sandy that the impellers on the broken pump were worn down. Because the booster pumps were really doing the work I opted for the lower capacity pump. Pressure in the house was fab... animals got all their water....

My power bill went to 9.00 a month.... Nine dollars.

For what its worth Most conventional windmills will only draw water up about 150 feet maybe 200. In order to attain water pressure in your house you will need to run a booster pump of some sort.

They do make pumps for deep wells that run off DC so you will have to check into those if you want to go solar. they are somewhat expensive. But its the most efficient way. If you use a conventional AC pump you will have to use a converter to convert DC to AC.... you loose some power this way.

Good luck do good research talk to a pump guy one that puts hundreds in per year and he may have some suggestions. You have to remember too.... I trust people Not unequivocally but I trust first.

deb

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
What a change! Wish my electric bill was only $9.00 a month.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You have to remember it is only running the well pump. I gave the refrigerator away and have unplugged the freezer. So there is nothing in the house that needs electricity.

deb

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Whereas my house is all electric-except the wood stove and the clothes line.

Latest posts