Repurposing scrap iron.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Old rims, tubed steel, sprockets. Just about everything can be repurposed into good useable items. A personal favorite of mine is to make outdoor pots for plants.

FB_IMG_1460510983013_zpsgxhprifg.jpg

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you. I bought most of the iron for my grill. But when I make wheels for it so we can haul it around easier it'll mostly be junque iron.

But my next project is going to be a rocket stove that I can put in my boys tour pack for when we go camping. Something similar to this. But a little smaller.

FB_IMG_1462999892975_zpsyqnhsuap.jpg

Last edited:

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

That is one of the more simple ones I've seen made. They work very well for storing in your car or something in case of an emergency.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've seen others made out of soup cans and paint buckets with Some, heck I can't remember what it's called, to insulate it. But making them is a little more labor intensive.

Here is one where they used what looks like fine gravel. But gravel is heavy compared to that other material that I can't seem to remember right now.

maxresdefault.jpg

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice job, CJ. One of the things I have been trying to do more and more of is when I see things discarded is try and brainstorm and imagine how the discarded item can be repurposed.