Rescued a pup this past weekend.........

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
There is a rental unit(double) about 1000 ft from the house. I pass by many times a day. Earlier this summer, a young couple moved into half the double. I noticed a dog. A black & tan coon dog pup tied out by the back fence row. Thought he looked a little skinny but hey they had kids so they I figure it is the kids pet......fast forward.......haven't seen a car there for a few weeks......but there is still signs of life........sort of......Thursday the dog is loose in the yard....broke his chain....and OMG is this dog ever SKINNY! TERRIBLY emaciated!!! I grab some food and drive up, pull in the drive and toss the food out(not knowing if the dog is friendly or not) he snarfs it down like no tomorrow.....nobody comes to the door.......I don't see any water so I go home, get water and water him. Still nobody comes to the door........Friday......The dog is still loose and I notice ANOTHER DOG, tied to a box, back on the fence row, no food, no water.....I come home get food and water and go take care of BOTH dogs. NO signs of life at the house. Nobody came out when I was there and I made some NOISE. I head straight to the dog pound and file report of abandoned dogs. BOTH dogs are terribly emaciated. This was about noon today......
That evening, Willy and I decided to run up there and see how the dogs were. As we pull into the drive there is a kid walking from the opposite direction and heading for the door. I ask him if these are HIS dogs....."nope, they belong to my cousin".....points to the house....then he proceeds to get her outside and OMG........single mom, three kids, no car, no money and no job.......turns out the coon dog belonged to her boyfriend who left her and left the dog there.......and did I mention the bitch had an ATTITUDE when she discovered that I had fed and watered both dog for the past TWO DAYS??
Turns out she has been there the whole time and never knew I was there!!! Makes ya wonder what kind of care those kids are getting..........but I digress.......the girl offered the dog to us because the only food it has been getting is what scraps her or the kids don't eat......Willy and I ended up going back over there and "buying" the dog from her to save it. Turns out this poor pup is papered and we got the papers......
Did I mention he has been beaten to within an inch of his life? The girl told us the "breeder"(and I use the term loosely) beat the dog every time he made a sound. WTH kind of a person would beat a dog that is BRED to bark, every time they made a sound?

ANYWAY......... We took John Boy(his real name is John Wayne) to the Vet yesterday, and thank god he doesn't have heartworm! He does have a couple of bad ear infections, and terrible case of roundworm, but we can fix those things pretty easy.
The Wife and I gave him a bath Sunday, and we were both amazed at how well behaved he is! He is starting to get the hang of a leash, LOVES his crate, and has started to slow down his eating a little bit. This dog doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Even has starved as he was, he has NEVER been the least bit aggressive when taking food from hand.
We are even seeing a few small tail wags out of him, and I swear his look changed today after we got back from the Vet. I think he actually smiled!
Meet John Boy!

392489892.jpg

392489888.jpg

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bless you! He's a handsome guy.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cute dog! That was great that you "bought" him. Sounds like it shouldn't take too long to get him back to health. :thumbsup

What about the other dog?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
God bless you, SKR8PN!! You have a big heart, wish there were more like you! :D

(And &*^%$!! to that "breeder" & the previous owners...! :()

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
SKR8PN you are awsome.

When I was younger and had fewer kids and more time I had hounds. I have always been a big softy when it comes to black and tans. Of all the breeds I have hunted they were the smartest and had the most mellow disposition and would hunt anything I put them on.

I think without admitting it I may even be a little jealous. He sure is a handsome young man and I am sure he will be forever loyal to you for saving his life

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

The other dog is still there. I made a report to the local dog warden the day we got John, but he is buried with work. I am going to go back and talk to the warden again.......

I am probably going to be finding John a forever home. We already have two Chocolate Labs and a Swamp Collie in this little house. :hide And I refuse to put a dog out tied to a box.
I just could not stand seeing him starved to death.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You have a kind heart rescuing and "buying" that dog. :hugs

I think you need to go one step further and call someone about the woman and children as well. That is a very sad situation.

Great job, he is a handsome boy!!

g