Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What a great life! But then, aren’t we all having a great life? Sharing what we do daily, acknowledgement of our efforts from the cheering section, that’s what makes this site so special!
Very true, baymule! :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That tree is really cool just the way it is now... It's a chicken roost :) you gonna put a lid on that old stone building?
Oh no, it's taking up way too much space in there! It's over 5 foot tall and about 3 foot wide in places if you count in the roots, so it has to get trimmed some before I can put it to use. That is unless I can get someone to completely remove the stump for me. The building is not very big, so I'm going to make as much space as I can and put the tree stump to use if it remains.

A roof is going to happen as soon as I finished cleaning the inside and outside. It's needed to keep the weather and foxes out.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sumi, contact my son. I told him to go to Ireland early. That stump is right up his alley, and so is the roofing. And Germany is getting expensive. :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I like that idea, @milkmansdaughter. I said to a friend yesterday, looking at the root situation and space beneath the roots, that I may be able to get the whole thing out and I am willing to pay someone with a chainsaw to come help me do that. That tree needs to go… And I need help making it happen. I need to get a roof on there as well. I've been tired and busy elsewhere this week and did nothing in the shed for days now. I'm going to head out there after breakfast and continue working on cleaning and digging.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Small change of plan. I need to sow the lawn seeds... Clear and prepare the area for it first. The shed will have to wait another day or two.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW, Sumi!!!! You weren't kidding about that tree...it's huge!!! That's one ambitious project but I can tell you are having some fun with it. Wish I could help you on it...work is much more fun when its shared.

I second this!!

And agree with Bay....sometimes the sharing helps make the effort worth while!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It would be lovely having someone to help, not just to reduce the work load and get the project completed earlier, but also for company. The ghost is not very talkative :p I told a friend of mine about that two days ago… She went :ep and then got all exited about it. I said no, no, it's not cool, it's not! lol

I'm taking a bit of a break from digging over the lawn area. My back is hating me right now lol I think once the shed is cleaned out and roofed and tarted up and I have the run for the chickens done, the flower garden planted and the lawn growing it's going to look amazing out there :) I keep thinking about that, when I get tired, I picture it all in my head and keep going…

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just caught up with your progress. Amazing! You know, I would have quit a long time ago!

Super creepy stuff going on there. My BIL had to tell the ghost at his house to get lost. He started out just being curious outside but he caught him peeking in a window of the house and he told him off. He stopped too!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
More like lack of progress at the moment… I haven't been out there in a week. Busy with other stuff, like trying to get the lawn area prepped. Gosh, who would dig over quite a large area for a lawn with a pitch fork? Yes, me… (Don't have anything else at my disposal and I'm not going to rent/buy more tools just for that either) But it will all get done, I'm not quitting :)

LOL I should try that and see if it works! I'd lie if I say it doesn't give me the creeps, knowing "something" is going on out there. The last incident was a bit too much to write off….

Latest posts