Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
WOW, Sumi!!!! You weren't kidding about that tree...it's huge!!! That's one ambitious project but I can tell you are having some fun with it. Wish I could help you on it...work is much more fun when its shared.

I can't wait to see this finished and I sure hope your landlord knows what a valuable tenant he's got on his hands.

That tree stump and its roots are very artistically beautiful in shape...it would be neat if you could use it as a focal point in a garden or turn it into a piece of furniture of some kind.
Bee, wish you were here. It is fun, some of the time, though I'm really just enjoying having clear space now where previously there was none.

My landlord is probably going to get some shock when he sees what I've been up to lol I plan to text him soon, if I don't bump into him.

Gosh, that tree's been a royal pain in the rear almost from day one. It is massive, so the only way forward with it would be to cut it in pieces. I've seen in a few places around Ireland how people cut tree trunks and large pieces of timber into chairs of some sort. I might do that, so I have somewhere to sit when I visit the hens :)

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks like a bicycle in there? lol you have done a lot of work there lady.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I did find some bicycle parts, car parts too! I dug and pulled out a biggish wheel today, but it had spokes. Interesting.

One a side note, something's up with my arm. About 10 days or so ago I scratched it or something in the shed and it came up in welts, which later in the evening turned into a big bruise and my arm swelled up. The next morning the bruise was all but gone, along with the swelling. Today it started hurting again and when I looked at it now I noticed it's bruised again and feels "lumpy" around the bruises. I didn't bump it,or injured it otherwise :idunno Allergic reaction to something maybe? But then why did it do this then and again now only?

Nardo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The old poison bottle - was it quite empty? Powdery residue? Moisture drops from dew? Are you able to read what exactly was in it? Just curious.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The old poison bottle - was it quite empty? Powdery residue? Moisture drops from dew? Are you able to read what exactly was in it? Just curious.
It was quite empty and dirty inside, so I washed it out as best I could. All it said along the side was "Not to be taken" which clued me in on what it was used for. It's a lovely little bottle!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
How's the arm feeling?
It's feeling better, thanks. The bruises have faded and only the lump closest to my elbow is still noticeable. If it carries on doing this strange bruising etc I'm going to see about getting to a doctor to have it checked out. Unfortunately our village's doctors have a waiting list for their practice and will only see me if it's an emergency, so I'm putting it off.

I skipped the shed work yesterday in favour of some much needed house work and went to the beach in Wexford today, so it had time to rest and me too :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a great life! But then, aren’t we all having a great life? Sharing what we do daily, acknowledgement of our efforts from the cheering section, that’s what makes this site so special!