Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This might be a silly question - but can you burn it out? With no roof on the place it might not be so risky? I dunno...:hu

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Technically I can burn it, but the location of the shed and the drought we had over the last few weeks means I'm not allowed to. At the moment we can't even have BBQ's in our backyards, because of fire risks. So I'll be looking at a nice big fine if I burn that tree. And my neighbours behind me WILL call the Garda if they see the stump burning (their house overlooks the shed) That really is my best option, so I don't know… Top it and leave the rest is where my mind is at the moment.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh...droughts and burn bans are no fun if you really need to burn something. Grrrr. I know you could drill holes in it and pour salt in the holes and it would rot - but that's not a quick procedure. This stump needs to go!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
If this was my place, I would've had that stump completely out, no matter what I had to do to it. Since it's not and I already spent a lot of time and effort on the shed, I'm going to do what I can and leave it at that. My landlord doesn't seem interested in helping or providing the necessary to complete the project, which is a bit disappointing, but it is what it is. I'll get the shed done somehow and make use of it :) This project made me think more and more how much I'd like to have my OWN place, where I can do things and spend money, knowing I'm doing it for me and myself. I'm going to make work of that over the next year, while the property market is still good. I saw a place for sale up in Co Donegal awhile ago, nice bit of land, sheds, house needs work, but it's not too bad, €15,000. It's a no brainer! lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about chopping it out from the top down with a hatchet or axe? That looks like it will come out a chunk at a time. You can't chainsaw it out, so start chopping.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I thought of that, baymule. Once I have the top bit off, I may start working on the bottom with a hatchet, time allowing. I have a fair bit to do still out there before winter.

Latest posts